SP2 Slipstream problem

Delprat

Hi everyone !

After reading the unattended guide on this site, I dedided to give it a try. :)

To begin, I took my XP Home OEM SP1a CD, and slipstreamed SP2 (using no third-party tool).

Then I burnt my ISO to check if I can continue with hotfixes, drivers, applications, etc.

All worked fine during text-mode setup, but after the first reboot, at the very beginning of the GUI-setup (T-39), I got this strange error :

« Invalid character in GDIPLUS.CA_ »

(I translated it, my XP is a french one)

The setup stops on the error, asking me for a reboot, then shows me the same error, then asks for rebooting, etc. :wacko:

I checked my CD, which was burnt at 10X, and the file GDIPLUS.CA_ was there, binary identical to the one on my original CD (I checked that with WinMerge 2.2.2).

Since it's a cabbed-CATfile, I can't get another one from another source (the GDIPlus package from MS does contain only the DLL)

Any idea to solve this issue ? Or am I condamned to installing SP1a then SP2, loosing hundred of MB on my "small" 10GB drive ? (I prefer having more MP3's :thumbup )

Thanks for reading that !

PS: the file is far into the tree :

CD:\I386\ASMST\10100\MSFT\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_

(not sure if it's the exact path, but you should find it easily with that)

It does not work at all...

After erased (full) & re-burnt an new iso, i've got problems with driver.cab (in text-mode) !

It seems like my cd-drive is broken, but only during XPSP2 setup !!! (i reinstalled with my original CD without problems, and my XPSP2 cd is read without pb under SP1.

I'll continue my tests with differents drives/burners/cds... I'm now sure you're right when saying that's not a Windows problem...

Thank you !

Have you tried just burning it to a brand new normal cd-r?

I've experienced problems with CD-RW's and installing XP but using CD-R media seems to work every time.

Just a suggestion (and yes, I'm sure CD-RW's work for most ppl but hey, to find out, it costs next to nothing lol)

Regards and let us know if it helps,

N.