ForestPrep and DomainPrep

I did read about this ForestPrep and DomainPrep in microsoft page and yet couldn't seems to figure it out what it is?

Quoted:

"Exchange 2003 ForestPrep extends the Active Directory schema to include Exchange-specific classes and attributes"

I just couldn't get the clear picture for the deployment. For architecture wise yes I am able to understand where Exchange FE and BE and ISA server stand, but when it come to implementation wise I am totally lost.

I have just promote my windows small business server 2003 standard edition to a domain controller. After installing all the services I notice that MS EXCHANGE is already there. So in this case do I still need to install MS EXCHANGE 2003 ForestPrep and DomainPrep or it is already done for me while doing the promoting job?

My situation here is to actually deploy EXCHANGE 2003 and ISA 2004 Server in a single server. Is there any specific procedure I should follow? Like which application I should install first and etc....

Thanks! :)

Small Business Server is a kind of a unique product. You probably do NOT need to run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep in this scenario.

If you were installing Exchange to a larger environment with stand alone ADC's you would need to run it as it expands the Active Directory schema and creates objects that are needed.

Hope this helps.

So what you are saying is that ForestPrep and DomainPrep is purely for AD environment?

BTW if I have two server application packed into a single server machine, how do I specific that when a client is pointed to the server which application trigger?