Disappearing CD/DVD Drives

dougiefresh

One of my friends has a Compaq Presario computer :no: which I've installed all of the software onto it. After I left, his DVD-Writer disappeared from the system. Talked to Compaq tech-support for 2.5 hrs, finally restored system back to factory state. :angry: Reinstalled software. :angry: Once again, DVD-Writer disappeared once software was installed. :realmad:

I've tried a solution (found at Axcel216's Web Site) under the heading "GET BACK YOUR CD/DVD". Negative results on getting the drives back.

Any suggestions? Any assistance would be appreciated!

EDIT: Problem has been fixed. Thanks!

One of my friends has a Compaq Presario computer  :no: which I've installed all of the software onto it.  After I left, his DVD-Writer disappeared from the system.  Talked to Compaq tech-support for 2.5 hrs, finally restored system back to factory state.    :angry: Reinstalled software.  :angry: Once again, DVD-Writer disappeared once software was installed.  :realmad:

I've tried a solution (found at Axcel216's Web Site) under the heading "GET BACK YOUR CD/DVD".  Negative results on getting the drives back.

Any suggestions?  Any assistance would be appreciated!

What software are you installing? I'm assuming if you restore the system to factory state again the drive will re-appear again. If there is more than one application that you are installing, try uninstalling them one at a time until the drive reappears. If you uninstall them all and the drive still hasn't shown up, restore the system again and reinstall the applications one at a time. Wait a while between installing apps to see if you can isolate the one that is causing the problem. If you can, check the manufacturers site to see if they can offer any suggestions. It seems unlikely that your friend would be the first person in history to experience this issue, and it may be a common enough error that the application vendor has posted a solution or even a patch.

Hope this helps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and click OK.

2. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right-click on both the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values and choose Delete/Ok. If you find only one of the Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values, delete just the one.

4. Close the registry editor and restart the machine.

same thing from MSKB:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.