What program is best to control my pc via internet

eyeXpose

@Ge0ph

How do you transfer files using Remote Desktop? I've never managed to figure that one out, I didn't even know it was possible, I thought you just had Keyboard/Mouse control.

@Ge0ph

How do you transfer files using Remote Desktop? I've never managed to figure that one out, I didn't even know it was possible, I thought you just had Keyboard/Mouse control.

Launch Remote Desktop Connection.

Click the Options button to expand it.

Click on the Local Resources tab.

From Local Devices select the Disk Drives checkbox.

Another GREAT thing about Remote Desktop is that you can transfer sound from your home pc, to the pc you dialing in from. If your using a broadband connection, this allows you to easily listen to your entire MP3 collection, without the need to transferring the files anywhere... and the best part is- it sounds no different than if you were listening to them on your home pc itself!

oh.. and did i mention its free?

On cartoonites point, eye never did say what type of access he wanted. If he just needs access to his files but doesnt need to control them from his home pc, theres absolutely no reason to use any of the products anyone has mentioned above. As cartoon said, simply set up your PC as an FTP server (which can be done using IIS or preferrably by a 3rd party app, of which theres PLENTY of- I use Bulletproof's G6 FTP server) or you could even setup web shares using IIS as well, which allows me to stream music and vid from my home pc (again, assuming you have broadband connections).

Regardless of what youre looking for, you should have a ton of ideas now of which route you should take (of which should be a FREE solution- NOT one of the options that will cost you money).

btw- always keep in mind firewall / router settings if youre planning accessing your pc from outside. And if you have a static IP or at least an IP that doesnt change very often- I highly recommend swinging over to here and paying the 5 bucks to get yourself a domain name. Its a heck of a lot easier to remember a domain name than an IP address and if your broadband service is like mine, where my IP changes about once every 3-4 months, you can easily change it to point to your new IP without any hassles (short of having to wait about a day for it to take effect)

welp... theres my novel- in case you couldnt tell I access my home pc- a lot (FTP, Web server, stream MP3s, remote desktop) and i can do it all without spending a cent (or using pirated software for that matter ;) and short of the 5 bucks / yr i spend on a domain name). Hope this helps!

well holy s***... thx for the tip voice! ive been using that other service for like 4 yrs now and the 1 pain in the a** part is the few times my ip does change i have to wait until 6am the next day for the name to be updated. ive got a linksys router which also supports that same feature... i always noticed it, but figured it was a pay thing as well... thanks a ton!

I use something like this myself to access my home PC and network as well. My free DDNS service is offered from another provider than the one The-VOICE listed, but I imagine the service would be quite comparable. So far as I can tell, there's no real reason to choose one over the other.

Here are a few options for those who are interested:

I ripped this list from TheFreeCountry.com. Here's a direct link to that page: Click here.

I myself use No-IP and I believe The-VOICE said he uses DynDNS. I guess we can consider both of those services to have received unoffical MSFN approval. The other services are likely just as effective, but I cannot vouch for any other than No-IP which I actually use.

I myself use No-IP and I believe The-VOICE said he uses DynDNS. I guess we can consider both of those services to have received unoffical MSFN approval. The other services are likely just as effective, but I cannot vouch for any other than No-IP which I actually use.

I use it too! Really great service and very easy to set up. :thumbup

VNC or RDP both work well for remote networking; it's my understanding however that both are susceptible to man in the middle attacks due to sending username and PW in clear text when initializing the session.

My solution is to run Secure SHell for windows as a service at home & PuTTY (remotely) to establish a secure tunnel then use RDP or VNC through the tunnel. Yep, I am truly paranoid....

SSHWindows

PuTTY

A good "How To" link is theillustratednetwork

You know I don't think I've seen anyone else who knows about this:

logmein.com

It's a smaller version of Remotely Anywhere, which is a fine product on it's own. But this one is better for a few reasons:

1. It's free! Of course they offer a paid version that allows (limited) file transfer, but this is about controling a PC right?

2. No router config! The way I understand it the host talks to logmein.com on port 80, so no port forwarding. And when you connect you are basically using logmein.com to get from your to the host.

3. Easy Admin! The website basic, but that's a good thing. You have to install a 4MB install for each computer, which you can do from the webpage. Then every time you login you will see a list of all the computers you have, and their status. Click a computer, and you're in control.

I have to say it's not the best...going through logmein.com has various possible issues, but for easy administration it's a chance I'm willing to take. And on critical machines I still install UltraVNC for good measure.

Give it a shot...it's pretty swank. I install it on all my customers computers now, and not much of a problem...I will say this, when there is a new version it has an annoying update notification message that pops up until you update...effective, but annoying.