Home file server, internet server, backup manager

I looked at a few forums (and searched everywhere of course) but I really can't find answers to some basic questions. (I think there are probably others out there with these same questions.) I'm not new to computers, but I am new to networking. I am not familiar with Linux or any other of the operating systems that many in our community use, so I prefer to stick with Windows.

I want to build (with spare parts) a windows 2000, preferably 2003-based computer for my home. This computer would:

* Be always on and always connected to the internet

* Act as file server

* Gateway to internet for all wired and wireless computers/notebooks/game consoles/PDAs in the home

* I want to be able have access from any computer in the home to any other computer in the home, for instance from my notebook to my workstation.

* I also want automated triple redundancy for my data: 1. files would be on the home server's hard drives, 2. This home server would automatically backup files to an external USB drive on a daily basis, and 3. Files would be backed up to my website which is hosted my mediatemple.net - I have plenty of room on my server there.

* I want automated protection and a hardware firewall.

* Most importantly, I want the whole thing to be as automated as possible (set it and forget it, as they say). I want to put this thing in the closet and know that it will be rock solid. I will always be connected, my data secure and regularly backed up, and as safe from hacking, viruses, etc. as possible.

The first thing I need to do is build the server computer, but these questions need to be answered first because they will dictate how I build my server and how I might rebuild my workstation.

Questions:

1. What do I do, what hardware do I need, and what software do I need to purchase?

2. I'm not sure of the order of the networking hardware. I assume dsl modem to hardware firewall to network card on server, then out from another network card in the server to a wireless router.

3. Does the server need its own AV, Firewall, spyware, trojan, etc. protection. Won't the hardware firewall be enough?

4. Will this be a p2p or Client/server setup? (See, I told you I'm new to networking).

5. Right now, my workstation is P4 3.2, 2 GB Ram, and two WD Raptor drives in Raid 0. I do a lot of editing, and I am used to fast access to my files. The server machine right now is planned to be an AMD XP 2Ghz, 512, and I have one spare 40 GB Maxtor hard drive that I am planning to use for the OS on the server machine.Am I going to experience any latency if I am accessing my files through the network? Will it be noticable? Is it worth it to buy a newer CPU/MB combo for the server? Should I move the raptor drives to the server? (If I did, I would obviously need to replace the drives in my workstation, in which case I ask should I replace those with Raptors as well.) I don't want my work slowed down in any way; in fact, I'm hoping all this will make my work both faster and safer.

6. I'm also thinking about the future; I want this machine to be around for a number of years. Hardware failure is not my main concern - SPEED is. In four years from now when we are all running Longhorns with 6GHZ, and 8GBs of ram will this machine be obsolete. (By the way, I would love to add another couple of raptors to the server machine, all in RAID 0.) So, a summary of questions 5 and 6 would be: Is server speed dependant on the CPU, amount and speed of Ram, or the speed of hard drives? If you had to put money into these components what would you start with?

7. Lastly, is 10/100 fast enough or is 10/100/1000 hardware a necessity for my uses?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any help you guys could provide would be most welcome. :thumbup

Robert Henry

http://www.roberthenry.org

This is going to be a bit out of order, but...

4) If you are using 2k or 2k3 server, it will be a server/client relationship, if you want to go ahead and use WinXp Pro, it will be essentially p2p, the reason is because 2k/2k3 server you will probably want to domain... this would allow you more control over your computers. I would recommend, unless you wish to spend 1000usd that you just use XP Pro. and use workgroups with a shared ethernet connection.

1) What you do will be decided on what software/hardware config you choose.

2) Whilst a software firewall would be adaquete, you could use a hardware firewall, but its more expensive. And yes, you should ALWAYS av protect your server, especially if you are going to go with 2k or 2k3 domain for anything that gets onto your server, will most likely get onto the clients. For hardware, i would recomment:

ADSL Modem, or Equiv

2 - 10/100 Ethernet NIC's (1000 is nice, but... unless you are doing large file transfers betwean server and client, not really needed)

3 - 10/100 router (in this setup from what i gather you want your internet to go through one computer, however, it is possible to run your ethernet just through the router...)

5) There wont be any noticable hardware latency through the network, however, there will be network latency, if you dont want this, you will need to create a fiber channel network, definitly not recommened... to put this into perspective, a 10/100 network runs at max, 100 megabits/s, this is compared to the original EIDE transfer rate of 16megaBYTES/s; rahter big diff...

6) Processor speed, and NIC speed... i would recommend getting a dual proc Athlon 64 board... RAM isnt so important, but if your giong to be running SQL servers, get at least a gig...

i know a lot of this is confusing, but if you have more questions, ill answer them...

also, are you really sure about wireless??? the current max is the 802.11g standard with a max of 54megabit/s!!!

the best way to set up a windows domain,

use a windows server (you could try and find a used licence for NT4 which does do the trick, and could be way cheaper (if you demands aren't to high),

Id realy recomand you to try it because it at least IS a server os, (that means you won't have your conection limit set to 10 (like on xp or 2000) and it lets you do beter with security

workgroups are nice, but security sucks on em, its nearly impossible to protect it,

I just posted about this link in another thread:

clarkconnect.org

It's a small linux distro that does much of what you want it to do, and possibly more if you put the time into it. Of course it is linux...but they have a great forum!

On the windows side both models have been discussed. Using a workstation class OS as a server or using expensive server class OS.

A big issue for some is the 10 connection limit of workstation class operating systems...basically means only ten active connections...it's not quite as simple as that but basically means you have the ability to serve to 10 machines...anything above that you're gonna need to step up or hack the support in (Which I don't suggest).

A big problem I see is your desire for automation...not that it's impossible, but if you are looking at doing this with windows you will have to keep it up...no way around it. Viruses, Spyware, Faulty Updates, etc...luckily most of the tasks can be accomplished using some kinda remote desktop utility...2003 has it built-in.

Linux is nice in the respect that 'common' garbage doesn't really latch on to it...by common I mean the random worms and script kiddies just scanning large chunks of IP's. A real 'hacker' or whatever has just as much of a chance cracking a linux box as a windows box.

That's why you will need to run antivirus and other security applications on the server...as someone said it's more likely to crash than the workstations.

As far as hardware goes it's not all that big for most tasks. My server is an 'old' VIA TC-10000, which is one of their integrated motherboards. Thing has a 1GHz Pentium class CPU, and only 256MB. I run it headless, and mostly as a file server and a domain controller for user accounts. And RIS. Even with all this my light workload never really seems to stress the server too much. Disk access is an important part...I am limited to ATA/100, but it's sufficient for storing profiles.

Here's the thing about your wants...it looks like you do a lot of editing with large files...fine. If speed is a key issue then you'll want to keep all the largest files on the local computer, meaning the computer you are wanting to edit it on. You could then backup the file to the server when you are finished, but under no circumstances would you want to edit the files from the network...just ain't happening. Even with a GB network I don't think it's effective. This is something to keep in mind should you move to using Roaming Profiles...if you keep a lot of large files in your My Documents folder it would have to send and recieve those large files at logon and logoff and in between...and that will definantly slow you down. Folder Redirection helps in this area, but still...

In your application I would think the most important subsystem would be the discs...and if you are looking to use this to protect your data you would want to look into the more advanced forms of RAID, where they combine mirroring and stripping.

Now here comes the real question...are you prepaired to put the time and money into this endevour? If you choose to be the admin of this beast, it's a lot of frustration. Never really appreciated a net admin until I became one. And I am hardly done figuring out all the random crap that comes with servers and such. Of course I am trying to learn it instead of just using it...you may be able to get a setup going with minimal investment that works as you need it...but then you'll need to have a backup plan for when something happens that you don't know about.

Hope that helps...good luck!