Refreshing passwords

Just changed the username of one of my client machine but the machine name remains the same. Now the SERVER machine won't login to the client machine since it is still using the old Username...

How can I refreshen it?

edit:there were some misleading information

Logon to???? or connect to????

Just delete the old mapping or connection from the server to the workstation and re-create it with the new ID and password.

net use /delete f: (where f: maps to \\server\share)

net use f: \\server\share /user:USER /password:PASSWORD

er... the initial post doesn't make much sense....

does he mean that he's changed the "computer name" of the client computer, not the "username" lol and that the "client machine can't login to the server" instead of the other way around?

If so, then:

- detach machine from domain

- delete the (old) computer object from the AD

- run a program that changes the SID - like newsid (this can change the cumputername too - havent tried it yet)

- attach the machine to the domain again

Away you go :)

Something like that.

Regards and try to be more clear in your post in future where possible :)

N.

Can you be a little more specific? What do you mean by refreshing passwords? Your domain controller should do this automaticlly if it is set up properly.

Don't know what U mean by domain controller since I have a workgroup.

To be more specific about my problem(was in a hurry the other day):

On a client machine named Mojca, I changed the Administrator account to Tom. And now when I want to connect to the client machine(Mojca) from the server, I get this:

\\mojca

I get access denied

But if I connect by its IP:

\\192.168.2.2

I get connected without a problem

Don't know what U mean by domain controller since I have a workgroup...

And now when I want to connect to this machine from the server

Can you clarify what you mean in those two comments? If you have a 200x server running (not as a workstation heh) then you have a server, of course, you may not have it set up as a domain I am assuming.

Try and tell us a bit more of what you mean but....(I'm guessing now)...

If you changed the Administrator account username to Tom or whatever, then you aren't gonna be able to see \\mojca as your credentials dont match.

If you were to login to the remote machine as \\MOJCA\Tom then you should be able to carry on as you were.

Creating a domain situation makes it alot easier I'd say, though parhaps not if you aren't used to using domains and the settings that go hand-in-hand with them.

Regards,

Nath

When I type:

\\mojca\tom

And then it ask me for username and I type in Tom, I get this error:

The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

Don't know what U mean by domain controller since I have a workgroup...

What I meant was that I have not set up a domain only Workgroup

ps. On the server I have 3client computers connected, should I use DOMAIN(have no idea what it even is) for this kind of config:

network.jpg

btw. I edited my previous post, I hope it makes more sense.

- Better & easier management - using group policy

I won't go into it right now but check out the MS server section of MS's website and read up - there's bound to be a domain vs workgroup article somewhere there lol :)

There's more I'm sure but its a big one that I wouldn't have any other way.

Regards,

N.

Well I read something about it over at M$ but it didn't make much sense to me...

But I gathered this:

1.In domain every client computers has its User Account & Password stored in Master Domain server??? But don't know the benefit of this?

2. Domain is good when having more than 1server so the client can ask both servers for verification???

3.Could a DOMAIN SERVER be WIn2k PRO or must it be SERVER edition?

4. In my home network would you recomend DOMAIN?

er.....

none of this actually matters because we've (I've lol) kinda taken it for granted that you are using a server OS.... when I dont think you are lol

but anyway...

1) The server - usually called a DC (Domain Controller) - holds the Usernames & passwords (and more) in a role called a AD (Active Directory).

The client machines are attached to the domain (which the DC has been setup to create) and then users can log on to the domain, not the local computer(s).

Primarily, this is an advantage as then it can be set up so the users save work to the server, using shares, home directories & profiles - handy in that of course, all work is saved in the same place.

Also, it makes more sense from a management point of view in that only the administrator (especially at home/small offices) there is no need for anyone else to be logining on to the local machines - thus saving hassles with setting up user accounts on each machine.

Thats all I'm gonna say - especially as this isn't what you started the topic about.

2) You wouldnt need more than one for this so no point going into it lol

3) Has to be either "NT 4 Server" / "Server 2000" / "Server 2003" for a DC / "proper" server system.

4) It depends what you want it for, but as you dont have it, I think the cost wont justify the usage.

Try to be more clear when stating server - tho I'm sorry I didn't think to ask sooner lol

Regards,

N.

Well the thing is, that Im very intersted in networking. Eversince I hoked the second computer to the now called SERVER and then trying to figure out how can I achieve this kind of connection especcialy without a router or a switch present. So somewhere I found out that this could be done by a great program called Winroute, which is less than NEWBIE friendly. And back than the only thing I knew about networks was ICS and that's pretty it. So in order 4 me to setup so called "software router" I had to dig thru tons of tutorial about networking and DHCP usage, DNS forwarding, which were again not N00B friendly. Once I achived this connection I got very intrested in networking.

Back to the topic:

Because I use Win2k PRO and not a server edition the DOMAIN thing is not an option to me. So I guess if I ever install a server OS then I shall be asking about it.

But in the meantime do U know of any link that would descriebe all the ASPECTS of DOMAINs? I'm wanna learn :w00t: