Missing Tab's

Eaglesam

Hi everyone

This is good...

A spyware hit my friend's system which has tow user accounts. in one of the accounts he lost the appearance,desktop and the theme tab's from display properties dailog, and placed security screen on his desktop.

I removed the spayware and some of it's effects, but how can i bring the tab's bake in display properties dailog?.

thanx for help

I think your quickest fix will be to backup his profile so that you can get a copy of his favorites, documents, etc. and then just delete that profile and create a new one for the account that has the problem. It could take you a long time to figure that out, I think creating a new profile would be the quickest.

Hi

If your talking about what i think you are you might want to see if there is a desktop.html in the desktop folder in your profile and delete it if it's there and for the display there is a registry fix you might want to try which i have attached. i don't know if this will work in your case but it worked on a simular problem i had.

desktop.reg

Copy the following into Notepad and call the file whatever.reg. Double-click the reg file to import into the Regsitry. This will restore all your display tabs.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"NoThemesTab"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispAppearancePage"=dword:00000000
"NoColorChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoSizeChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispCPL"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoDispSettingsPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoSizeChoice"=dword:00000000
"SetVisualStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallPaper"=dword:00000000

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I am having the same problem with spyware that hit my comp and has removed my appearance tab. I am running on 98. I tried to use the fix that you guys had below but when I attempted to load the files it got an error message saying "Cannot import registry file. The specified file is not a registry script. You cna only import registry files." Any help or suggestions..... Thanks.