What's the best FREE remote Management/Control SW?

JasonGW

We use netmeeting at work to remote control PC's and help users. We used to use RealVNC, but it was DOG slow and hardly worth the effort. In the time since we've upgraded the network speed (100Mbit up from 10 when I started) and moved about 50% of the clients to XP SP2 (the rest are coming along as we have time to do them).

Anyway, so I'm looking for something good and free to replace these with, preferably distributed in a form I can either deploy the server portion through GPO without modification or worst case scenario, create an MSI package for :)

Thanks!

Jason

If you are running an Active Directory Domain you can use Remote Assistance. Turn on the ability to request remote assistance from any PC and all you need to do is have the client at the other end click OK that you can connect. Remote Desktop in Windows XP is slick. It's like you are sitting on thier PC even with the slowest of connections.

If you are running an Active Directory Domain you can use Remote Assistance.  Turn on the ability to request remote assistance from any PC and all you need to do is have the client at the other end click OK that you can connect.  Remote Desktop in Windows XP is slick.  It's like you are sitting on thier PC even with the slowest of connections.

I use remote desktop all the time to manage servers or connect to my home servers and workstations, but it can't be used to connect to an existing session, which is what I need. I know Remote Assistance can connect to an existing session, but what I can't seem to do is get it set up where it DOESN'T require the user's permission. Hell, I've even unchecked the box in ADU&C for "Require user's permission", but no dice!

Jason

I use UltraVNC. I have created an MSI using the InstallShield repackager, which installs the server service. Registry entries are preconfigured to disable user access via tray icon, and enable AD authentication.

I also use VNC Neighbourhood, which is great for finding hosts and connecting quickly.