Making applications standalone or extractable

mox

I have been trying to make it where some of my applications don't have to be installed.. just extracted to a folder. I've been working on trying to get audioCatalyst to work, just to see if i could but I've been having endless problems.

I've been trying simplify it with WinINSTALL LE with editing the msi and registry files, but not having much luck with it.

Has anyone done anything similar? I don't like how these programs s*** dll and shared files all over my directories.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i don't think he's really accomplishing what i want to do. Does anyone know how I would consolidate all my files into 1 directory rather than having them spread all over my harddrive?

is this even possible?

possible depends on how the app is coded. what specific problems are you having. dlls not found? registry settings? I usually start by installing on 1 machine then copying app dir to test box, running and resolving dependancies error by error. just copy the dll that can't be found from system32 or wherever into the app dir. you could also try dependancy walker, but the brute force method is sure-fire. registry settings sometimes need to be imported/exported at runtime as well. and if it puts files in application data you need to find if this is specified in inf file or reg key and change it. if it is hard coded into program you're out of luck.