Serverless roaming profile? (via USB)

wamatt

hi folks

I have a PC at home and work. I want to use one user profile only, can I do this? I want to store my profile on a removable 2.5" notebook HD.

So when I leave work I just pop it in my pocket and at home I'm good to go again, with all my tweaks in one place.

Gonna reply to my own post:

Think you just setup the ProfileImagePath in this regkey

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Use the correct SID for your profile. Map that to the USB drive and should be good.

Going to test it and let you know. You probably have to be carefull to always logout first before you disconnect the USB.

Cool its sorta works, just have to remap all my shortcuts to use my new profile dir:

B:\Docs\Matt\

I thought B: would be perfect for this, because generally this is not taken on other machines.

Hmm b: is not such a hot choice after all, since if the machine has even just 1 floppy bay, it won't allow you to assign a USB to drive A: or B:

You can get around this by saying

SUBST B: K:\

but thats a bit hacky

On my network at home and all the sites I support that have a client server setup, the profile is cached locally on the pc when you log on. So long as you log on to the computer before taking it off the network it should have a copy of your profile on it, and then when you log back on to the pc on the network it will copy all the interim changes to the profile back. There is no need to have it on a removable disk