Post-Setup Security Updates Registry Entry?

Why I am impressed by the Post-Setup Security Updates (PSSU) an am well aware of its benefits, it leaves my remote RIS installation in a bit of trouble as I can no longer terminal service to it to manage it straight after install.

I only ask as I am performing RIS installs across a high speed WAN and although I do need someone to start the RIS install, I would like to be able to not rely on that person again to configure auto updates upon installation (they would need admin login etc.).

Does anyone know where in the registry the PSSU information resides and if they have had any luck modifying it as part of their RIS installs?

thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been searching for this problem since I initially posted (only a few days after SP1 came out) but still havent found an answer, has anyone got any ideas or something they can point me to?

Sorry for the repeat post, but I am still struggling to work around this...

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya,

I haven't tried it myself yet but the following info is in a Microsoft doc called "Post-Setup Security Updates"

If you do new installations of a version of Windows Server 2003 that includes a service pack by using an unattended-setup script and you want to suppress Post-Setup Security Updates, you can do one of the following:

1) Explicitly enable or disable Windows Firewall in your script. This change automatically suppresses Post-Setup Security Updates.

2) Allow the installation process to automatically enable Windows Firewall, but suppress Post-Setup Security Updates by adding the following entry to your cmdlines.txt file:

"reg import <Test.reg>"

where <Test.Reg> contains:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ServerOOBE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ServerOOBE\SecurityOOBE]

"DontLaunchSecurityOOBE"=dword:00000000

Hope this helps

Dinny