Ubuntu Linux - try this great distro for FREE!

prathapml

If you've heard all about Ubuntu and just want to get the Install CD or test the Live CD, you can download it here immediately:

Download Ubuntu through ftp and torrent. If you want it shipped to your door for free, read further below.

I'm not normally one to fall for "free" offers. But this one looks good, so if you ever were interested in Linux, give it a look-in.

circle.jpg

Linux for Human Beings

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

Skip ahead to the home-page and see what all the excitement is about - LINK.

For those who need to see what it looks like - Screenshots.

This is a distribution based on Debian GNU\Linux - it takes debian and builds on it to result in a very good deal for the end-user. Its modularity and packaging system have been made for ease-of-use for even the amateur.

Apps in Ubuntu and the components philosophy

Since Ubuntu is mainly GNOME-based, you can also download Kubuntu from here.

It includes the complete KDE 3.4 desktop and login manager, as well as the whole of Ubuntu and all the k-bling you would expect from the KDE Community.  (this add-on won't be shipped, only http and torrent download is offered).

Ubuntu 5.04 "The Hoary Hedgehog" -  is the latest Release

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for the desktop or the server that includes all of Debian as well as most of the packages of apt-get.org, with a fast and easy install, regular releases (every six months), a tight selection of excellent packages installed by default and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of security and technical support for every release.

Although Ubuntu includes more packages than any other Linux distribution, only a single CD is required for installation. Everything else can be selected and installed on demand from the network. Only the core "main" set of packages receives a guaranteed level of security review and updates.

New features included:

- Simple and fast Installation

- Live CD's for Intel x86, AMD64 and PPC

- GNOME 2.10.1

- Firefox 1.0.2

- X.org 6.8.2

- First class productivity software  (Evolution 2.2.1.1 and OpenOffice.org 1.1.3 are just two)

Ubuntu gives you a distribution that is:

* absolutely committed to free software, every application on the CD is free software

* 100% free of charge, and the Ubuntu team is committed to keeping it that way

* complete with security updates for the distribution at no charge for at least 18 months after every release

* easily upgradable to the latest desktop and kernel and infrastructure every six months

* able to run on machines with x86, AMD64 and PowerPC processors, with additional ports to IA64, SPARC and HPPA under way

If you want a shrinkwrapped CD we will gladly ship it to you at no cost. To receive a complimentary copy of the Hoary Hedgehog CD -- or a handful to give to your friends, your school or LUG, place your request at:

shipit - You can order the entire 10 CD distribution for free there.

Don't be a sucker, be polite and order only as many multiples as you want - if you order 50 CDs and more for your greed, its only your own delivery that is going to be delayed. :P Orders placed here will be shipped in 4-6 weeks.

If you are a windows user and want an OS that you can use legally, here's your chance. Those using windows without a license, might want to see how Ubuntu performs. And if you think windows is bloated and need something slimmer, then see this. Or if you are a computer geek and windows has got too easy to use lately, and you have learnt all there is to it, then check out something new - Ubuntu. Developers and coders of course, know that they are missing on something for sure if they have not been initiated into the world of linux. As for all others, don't bother to waste your breath complaining about windows if you never have the guts to move out of it and use something better!

Grab this, you got nothing to lose by going ahead and ordering it for yourself. When it arrives, check it out after installing it, and if you like it, GREAT!!

Here's to the forum junkies - The Ubuntu Linux forums

And the IRC junkies - Ubuntu IRC Channel: #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net

Thanks, I will definetly check this out. Its great that they are able to ship this for free, though i will load up azureus.

I've heard many good things about Ubuntu, and Im looking forward to trying it out for the first time, especially a 1 day old distro.

I also want to add you can see more screenshots here:

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slidesho...nal+screenshots

Looks like a nice distro, But...

Or if you are a computer geek and windows has got too easy to use lately, and you have learnt all there is to it, then check out something new - Ubuntu.

If you are REALLY a computer geek and you want to REALLY learn about Linux, Install Ubuntu, then leverage it to build LinuxFromScratch and discover the mysteries of compiling source code, library dependancies, boot scripts and other things you won't learn from installing a prefab distro, no matter how nice it is.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

If you just want to use a free OS with no hassle, however, Ubuntu looks pretty close.

I challenge you true geeks to try this project, then tell me if it wasn't worth your time.

I dabble in Linux fairly regularly and I was certainly interested in Ubuntu, so i got the iso, burnt it off etc. The install process for it was great, very very easy to use (even without the actual graphical interface, its all text for Ubuntu), the downside though is that with Ubuntu you can't choose which packages you wanna install or not install during the process, you gotta go through the LOT, and so the install does take a long time compared to most Linux distros. I'm talking a good half an hour or so before I even got to the login screen (quite a while considering other distros can be installed in very little time), anyway, I was rather dissapointed to see that it didn't recognise my GFX card (FX5200) so i was left with a distro that DOESN'T create a root acount by default (thats right, you heard me lol), and my own acount that has limited permissions so I couldn't install my own drivers to get it working. It's meant to be a very promising distro but I just thought I'd let you know of my bad experience with it :(

If anyone gets any success with it on the graphical front, please let me know how it works out for you :)

I don't know if you're for testing DigeratiPrime but if you are test versions of Fedora 4 have been released and are available for download :) I do believe this is the first public test of the new OS and if I remember right Fedora release about 3 tests before actually making their OS final so you might want to consider that.

Well you probably already know that Fedora might as well be RedHat 10 + lol

Very easy system to use, aimed at ease of use, and in my opinion Fedora is looking to be THE distro that might bring Linux closer to grabbing a better share of desktop users and switch them over to the power of the penguin! :P

I did download the Fedora Core 4 Test 1 about 2 weeks ago, but had problems installing it on a pc. I know Test 2 just got released, but im going to wait and spend more time getting to know Ubuntu first.

I'll probably wait untill Fedora Core 4 Stable is released (June) before i try it since i dont enjoy downloading new dvds every week. And then in October a new version of Ubuntu, The Breezy Badger! B)

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/releases/document_view

Nobody is interested in even trying this?

lylo, you said you are a Linux regular, how about it?

prathapml, you sound like you could spare a box to try this out.

You will get more out of it than loading every pre-fab distro out there.

digerati too, I know you are all geek enough for it.

tell me to pi** off if you want.

(yes I am trying to goad you into it)

I'd LOVE to try something like that out, but whoa, the whole seems way too overwhelming lol, I may play a bit with Linux but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm any good with it :} I have got it in my bookmarks though under my 'Penguin' folder lol and I am gonna give it a good look through sometime.

Basically, I'm a gamer, and so I want my Linux system to be able to play games (So, getting the video drivers perfected is a must), as well as have all of the alternative programmes I would need to do my usual Windows stuff, such as encoding video (mainly from .avi to .mpeg), Office work (Because of Linux I'm now a full Open Office convert!), as well as all the usual gobbledegook. Heh, now its a good thing that Linux natively plays some of my fave games (Doom, Quake engine based games mainly).

So as much as I want to learn Linux, I must say for the time being I am hooked on creating my own personal and perfect unattended XP disc lol. I only dabble with Linux when say I've finished a new XP disc and instead of just installing it straight away I wanna try something different, for now its more of a filler thing than a fully serious intention of mine to learn. :)

*Edit* dman I almost forgot, whats your experience with LFS (Linux From Scratch), I like how you try to get us into it lol and I do appreciate that, but what has it done for you, or I should say what have you managed to do with it? :D

dman I am interested in it, it sounds like a very educational and rewarding DIY project. However I feel more comfortable approaching Linux by learning to take it apart first, and perhaps later on compiling it for myself. Right now I want to become more familiar with the applications and different distros. But I'll keep it in mind, and of course others reading this are welcome to try this themselves. :yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_From_Scratch

Nobody is interested in even trying this?

lylo, you said you are a Linux regular, how about it?

prathapml, you sound like you could spare a box to try this out.

You will get more out of it than loading every pre-fab distro out there.

digerati too, I know you are all geek enough for it.

tell me to pi** off if you want.

(yes I am trying to goad you into it)

If you caught me 10 years ago I would have probably jumped all over it. But now I have an almost 3 year old daughter, and an 8 month old daughter, a fiance, I run a multi-million dollar company, and now I have the added responsibility of being a moderator here. :) I'm kinda streched at this time. Wish I had the time to do something like that, but unfortunately I don't. :(