Locking down Win98SE with RDP

dhourd

G'day

I am looking for a website or information on how to lockdown a Win98Se machine that will run RDP into a Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server.

The situation is a primary school where all the client machines are Pentium or Pentium II class machines with a maximum of 64MB. The school has recently moved from a Win98SE client/NT 4.0 Server Domain network to using Terminal Services on 2003 where all the Win98SE machines are now RDP clients to the TS 2003.

Currently the Win98Se machines have all the standard applications loaded on (Word, Excel, etc) and the object is to wipe these machines clean, reload Win98SE and run only RDP and nothing else, so that these machine look and feel like a screen and keyboard into TS 2003.

The information I would like is:

Upon boot up, run RDP to automatically connect to the TS 2003 (users will still need to logon to Windows 2003 via TS)

Have restrictions in place, perhaps the Win98SE's profile, such that a user can't alter the settings of the machine (particularly the display), load or run any other software, other than RDP.

Because of the restictions in the above requirement, another way to be able to alter the screen settings and replace old hardware, particularly network and video cards, ideally users would not have access to this feature, but may have to settle doing it through an option such as pressing the F8 upon boot up.

Using Linux and NT 4.0 Workstation is not an option due to licensing and political reasons.

Thanks kindly for any information

rdesktop, the Linux Remote Desktop client is very fast and works well.

Even though Linux is not an option, you might want to look at Thin Station.

BTW, Linux would be the best solution here.

As far as locking down a 9x machine... well.... that's a joke, right.

To lock down the station, use Folder Guard (www.winability.com). It'll do that plus more.

I use it myself for similar purposes. Haven't had a virus infection on any of my 40ish 9x boxes for 2 years now, plus its great fun watching kids going through the paces of installing a multi-cd game only to find out that none of the EXE or DLL files can be accessed, LOL.

=)