Media Problem?

RaynotRoy

I have a drive in my server that WONT read the sony dvd+rw disks after they have been erased, but it will burn fine if they haven't been erased, so i have to use the burner on the machine im trying to install windows to, making it very difficult to keep retesting. it was all fine and dandy, but then i fixed some errors on the disk, erased it, then tryed to reburn it, files verifys fine, but then the drive just revs the disk over and over and never ends up reading the disk. this happens both during windows, and in bootup. its not just a bad disk, they are all doing it, and some are now refusing to erase. should i try different media? or maybe is it a burner problem?

Some burners are just picky about which media they use. I have found DVD-R & DVD-RW discs (Cheapo disk to name brand discs) to be the most stable between a wide variety of systems (as long as your burner supports DVD-R/-RW).

Check to see if there is a firmware update available for your burner. I'd also suggest trying a different brand of media.

• 2 weeks later...

There are only a handful of companies that manufacture blank media. All the labels like Memorex, Sony, Yamaha, etc, buy them and slap their label on them.

if you goto www.cdrmediaworld.com or www.cdmediaworld.com (if it is still up) they have a tool to extract the true manufacturer of the media so you can be better informed.

The problem is more than likely the DVD-ROM in the server than the DVD+-RW. How old is the server, many DVD-ROM drives were not multi-format until the last year or so, and many, many thin DVD-ROMs (like the ones in laptops) are not truely multi-format.

Does the server read the media ok on the first burn, but not after an erase and re-burn? If so, the problem is probebly the server's drive.

Depending on the burning software and hardware you are using, there may be options to increase compatibility of burned discs, that be of some help.

Also, try doing a full erase instead of a quick erase on the media before re-burning it. That can also help cure these types of issues.

The server reads the media fine on the first burn, but then it will erase properly. When i try to reburn the erased disk Roxio 7 recognises it as a blank non-burnable disk. The drive in the server is fairly new, its a TDK that burns DVD+RW (supposedly) and there are no other firmwire upgrades for it. The burner in the computer im installing windows to had an upgrade, so now i have that machine burner working properly. thanks.