I click on the Shut Down button and XP freezes...

ceez

Zup peeps!?!

I have a problem with one XP SP2 PC at work. The computer is freezing whenever the user wants to shutdown.

When you go to start-shut down the computer just hangs. As soon as you click on shut down the start bar goes away (not the taskbar, the start bar with run,settings, prog files, etc..) You then cannot click on anything. You cant right click or left click on anything on the screen. Per the use it takes about 5 minutes and then the "what do you want the computer to do" screen pops up allowing him to select shutdown and click [ok].

I was working in this PC last week upgrading to sp2 and I had no problems shutting down the system. User says this started happening out of the blue.

thkz

ceez

:thumbup

seems like there is a process running in the background that windows is having problems shutting down, run adaware, spybot, and MS antispyware and see if it is spyware causing your problems. Also when it freezes like that can you press Ctrl, Alt, Del and see what is not responding. Look for any suspicius services running in the Process tab.

thkz for the reply...

the machine is as clean as a whistle.....it has symantec corp and running ms antispyware.

I should of given all of this info on the 1st post.... I can ctrl-alt-del and there are no out of wack processes, just your regular running ones.

The system seems to be just fine while idling. No apps are open.

any other ideas??!?