Internet connection died

chip812

Found an 'optional' update on windows update. Downloaded it and installed it and now my computer cannot access the network cards... It can see them, but it says there is 'Limited or No connectivity'... I thought the card had fried so I pop off to Walmart and pick up a new card... Now it says the same thing.... It can't be a coincidence that this happened at the same instance that I downloaded and installed an 'update'. I've tried uninstalling the device and re-installing. I've tried updating the drivers... Nothing seems to work... According to the Device Manager, both network cards are working properly. I now have a smoking internet gaming machine with out access to the internet... Any body have any suggestions???

P.S. Chaintech mb w/VIA chipset running AMD 64 cpu 1GB ram Nvidea Video card

I tried that already... (sorry, forgot to mention it)... It doesn't show as an update... I guess because it was 'optional' and not a 'required' update. I seem to recall, in my blind trusting of Microsoft haze, that it was something to do with my VIA chipset and some sort of driver, but I can't be sure since I didn't get a good look at it.... Also, I forgot to mention that using restore points doesn't work either... I tried going back a couple of days (4 different restore points) with no luck... :(

First, Welcome to MSFN. :hello:

Is the new network card the same as the other one?

Also when you uninstall it with Device Manager, do not let it automatically detect the drivers. Point it at the correct/original ones.

PS. I dislike System Restore and disable it, its more harm than good, imo.

I've tried that already... I orignially assumed that the driver(s) had been corrupted, but when the new card (which is a different brand) did exactly the same thing, I'm now thinking there is something screwed up with the motherboard... :(

P.S. I suppose I should have written down everything that I tried... :) That way we could move a little faster toward a solution instead of you having to trigger a memory... Sorry 'bout that... :(

Reformating is usually the easiest or fastest way to fix any software or driver problem, because instead of spending time to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it you just wipe the slate clean and start over.

Hence the reason Unattended Discs are so popular! You can quickly get back to where you left off :)

Others may tell you to try a "Repair Install" from the Windows CD, or troubleshoot this further. Your decision.

Its almost impossible that a driver update could cause any damage to the hardware, the only cases this usually happens is if overclocking.

IT sounds like you are using a Broadband or LAN connection, have you tried reseting your Modem or Router?

No, I haven't tried resetting the router and modem... two other computers are connected (one wirelessly) and they are doing fine... I think I'll do it when I get home anyway, just to make sure that is not the problem... My computer is not overclocked... I don't believe in doing that... the performance increase is not worth the risk of frying the cpu... I know people that get away with it, but it is my luck that my cpu would instantly fry and I can't afford to waste cpu's like that... :) If re-booting the modem/router doesn't work, then I'll try the solution that DMAN is suggesting... I'll post any results (positive or negative)... :)

P.S. Reformatting is not really a good option.... I have software for which I've mis-placed the original disks (I moved and lost a box of computer stuff somewhere)... :( If I have to, then I'll burn that bridge when I come to it... :(

P.P.S. I didn't mean to imply that the motherboard was physically damaged... I meant to say that it was acting like it was damaged... sorry to mis-lead... I know that it has got to be a driver somewhere, I just can't find which one... I don't believe it is the network driver... I think it is some motherboard driver... or drivers... :)

chip,

that "Limited or No connectivity", with NIC reported as working properly is usually a giveaway that it is a TCP stack problem. I get this sometimes after removing viruses and spyware from peoples computers. Only once has winsockXPfix failed to restore connectivity.

Well... I don't know how to say this... rebooting the modem/router corrected the problem... I'm still at a loss to say exactly what the problem was, but it coincided exactly with the optional windows update to the point that the last screen of the update did not load... Color me confused and I guess I'll just hang on to the extra NIC that I put in my computer... shoot, I may even do that server thing that I've been thinking about... :) Thanks to everyone for their input... I really appreciate the moral support.... DMAN, can you give me more information on what exactly winsockXPfix does??? Get as detailed as you like, I'll understand more of it than you think I will... :)

chip,

glad you are up and running! It usually ends up being something stupid, huh?

winsockxpfix is a tool that automates the windows netsh command to reset the network protocols and set registry keys for them as described in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;299357

the suceptible part of the TCP stack is called the "Layered Service Provider". This is a transport layer that allows code interaction with the data flowing through the connection and as such is a favorite tool of spyware purveyors. Sometimes removing spyware leaves a "gap" in the layer chain at the LSP level, which is why a NIC will report working ok, because it is... it just cant communicate through the TCP protocol stack. In effect, this acts just like a locked-up hub or router... It knows it's plugged in, just cant talk.

Anyway, glad your problem had happy ending.

dman