breaking adware links to freeware

mooiss

Hello everyone

I downloaded Acehtml 5 freeware, and then made the mistake of registering the product, thinking I would be supplied with updates. Once I was registered with Visicom, I was informed that this freeware program had been discontinued, and they would no longer support it (with updates).

The problem now, is that everytime I launch Ace 5, I'm linked to Visicom, who plasters my screen with ads extolling the virtues of Ace 6 Pro, and offering me a "huge" discount for the product. This same ad greets me, when I close Ace 5.

How do I get rid of this link to Visicom? I've already tried uninstalling the program, deleting all cookies, clearing web history, and temp internet files, and then re-downloading the program, but I can't get rid of those ads!

I know they're not embedded in the program because, if I'm offline when I launch Ace 5, I get the black and white server error message, instead of the ads.

Please help me! Ace 5 is a good program, but those ads are driving me nuts!

Better to seek forgiveness, than to ask permission.

hi mooiss,

are you saying that you didn't get any popup ads until you registered? does it launch a browser window or is the ad displayed in the program itself?

I never tried Ace, but if you want an excellent web editor try mozilla Nvu.

hi mooiss,

are you saying that you didn't get any popup ads until you registered?

I didn't try launching the program until after registering but, before my hard drive crashed, I had this program (sans registration) on my computer -- without the ads.

does it launch a browser window or is the ad displayed in the program itself?

If I'm online, the Visicom ad appears without an IE window (no buttons).  If I'm offline, the IE window appears with the ubiquitous "can't find server" screen, with the program behind it.

I never tried Ace, but if you want an excellent web editor try mozilla Nvu.

Will NVU work with IE?  I picked Acehtml 5, because it's easy for a novice to use.  Is NVU managible for someone with no training?

Is NVU managible for someone with no training?

Have you ever used front page? It is comparable to that, but it is free and arguably better. I think it's pretty easy to use. You got nothing to lose by trying it. (and no adware)

http://www.nvu.com/

Have you run cwshredder, spybot and ad-aware? They may be able to get rid of the ads, but some freeware won't work if you remove them.

Well, I downloaded Nvu, and it looks different than Ace 5 (very few HTML tag buttons and no handy tag index), but I think I can live with it. Goodbye Visicom! Thanks dman.