Ultimate Dos Boot Scripts

Stone-D

This is my first post here, so bear with me. :P

I've been using a pretty complicated boot script for years now. Its been a long time since I last changed it dramatically (aside from commenting it for this post) so, IMO, its pretty stable.

Basically, it uses CONFIG.SYS's menu capabilities to branch off sections in AUTOEXEC.BAT. Its currently optimized for both LAN and single PC usage.

Off the top of my head :

- Boot into linux

- Boot directly into Partition Magic (or whatever)

- Run specific driver combos for old games and boot into them

- Load SoftICE as required

- Provide a testbed for new/uncertain drivers

- Allow a SysAdmin to do what he/she does best : be lazy

In its current incarnation, it requires either 4DOS or NDOS to take advantage of IFF and various colouring routines. I have no idea if it works with other COMMAND.COM alternatives.

I say 'requires' though it does allow for only COMMAND.COM being present, but in that case functionality is pretty spare. I'm pretty sure I could make a COMMAND.COM only version if there is sufficient demand, though.

Beyond that, its pretty hard to describe. I suggest you guys try it out. I'm kinda eager to see what you make of it.

If you're a n00b at batch files, don't go anywhere near this.

Ack. Just realized there's no attachments here. Grab it from this page, which I whipped up in a hurry :

DOSBoot @ Stone-D's Homepage

The main page, as you may suspect, is at Stone-D's Homepage

Its a tad slow at the moment, so bear with it. A) its got a bad upstream and B) I'm hijacking the company line to grab a bunch of stuff via p2p. :)

Besides, they're all small files, and DOSBoot10.zip is all you need to download :

3-29-2005   1:12           4,775  AUTOEXEC.zip
3-29-2005   1:12           1,091  CONFIG.zip
3-29-2005   1:12           6,275  DOSBoot10.zip
3-29-2005   1:12             453  MSDOS.zip

• 4 weeks later...

He didn't need any help as far as I can tell. He was showing off his cool autoexec.bat & config.sys. I looked at them a while ago - I never heard of the LETASSIG tool before but it looks like it could be quite useful. Thanks Stone-D. BTW, I have some nice initialization scripts myself and I may post them someday...

Edited by xper