Legacy Application Deployment

misdial

Friends:

I am in need of information on replicating "compatability mode" settings when moving executables to host machines. Does anyone have any ideas on this. I have searched technet, as well as the web for info on this, and have been found wanting.

Thanks,

Misdial

I dont know if thats possible but a workaround would be to make a batch file that enables compatibility mode, runs the program and then switches off compatibility mode.

the following code runs a program called filename.exe in windows 98 compatibility mode.

set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win98
filename.exe
set __COMPAT_LAYER=
exit

Below is a list of modes you can use:

256Color

640x480

Win95

NT4SP5

The following codes sets Win95, 640x480 and 256Color

set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win95 640x480 256Color
filename.exe
set __COMPAT_LAYER=
exit

Error message: A REGVXD.VXD is not loaded properly.:The parameter is incorrect error is occuring

Here is what I put in the batch file:

set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win98

c:\Regmon.exe

set __COMPAT_LAYER=

exit

I used regmon.exe as a test object...Am I missing something?

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

I cant get regmon.exe to work in win98 mode either. Even if I use dman's method, the same error comes up.

Win95 mode doesn't work with regmon.exe either but NT4SP5 mode does. You could use that instead.

set __COMPAT_LAYER=NT4SP5
c:\Regmon.exe
set __COMPAT_LAYER=
exit

Dman and At0mic,

I'll see what I can dig up. I did some googling on deployment and "compatability mode", but came up with nothing. I like the ACT idea. I'll shoot it that direction, and see what I can come up with. I'll post any findings here so everyone will know the results.

So the issue with the compat mode in the bat file is with regmon.exe, not the command line. I will try it with our applications.

Once again thank you both for all your help on this issue.

Thanks again,

misdial

:wacko:

Dman,

All the information you have is good stuff, but it doesn't change anything with a deployment, or copy any changes over multiple OS's. It still requires a batch file for these changes. I'm not making a dealy-o, just putting some information if someone browses for a similar issue to what I have. The information At0mic provided seems to fit the resolution on this issue.

Once again, thank both of you for the information. Dman, your information is good for some older programs I've been trying to rehash through on my old system, and At0mic, you hit the nail on the head.

misdial