How To Disable Those Damn Tool Tips ?

senshi

Is there a way to disable the tool tips that pop up only for the following:

-Quick Launch Toolbar

-Start Button

-All Items within the start menu

Sometimes tool tips are usefull, but I hate them popping up in those 3 places I listed above because they contain no usefull information and are just plain annoying. :realmad:

Anyway to disable them for those places only?

Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Modify or create, "EnableBalloonTips" and set the Value to "0". To restore set the Value to "1".

But I don't recommend you do this. there is some valuable information that gets presented in baloontips, like low disk space and email notifications. Other programs use it too, so you might want to reconsider.

Yeah i'm talkign about the tooltips, like when you hover over the Start Button and it says "Click here to begin" or when you hover over a quicklaunch shortcut and it says the name of the shortcut... I hate it, It pops up too fast.

Maybe there is a way to slow down the time for when the tooltip shows (ex: hover over for 10 seconds instead of 10ms) ??

Yes you're right.

A little look into the registry reveals that the Start menu balloon tip cannot be easily manipulated without hacking some system file, perhaps explorer.exe.

Changing the value to (0) or (1) or renaming this one has no effect and on reboot it reverts back to the default (2):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartButtonBalloonTip

The delay time is in hex with 8 bits so I haven't a clue what to change:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage\Startmenu_Balloon_Time

I've tried various tweaks with no luck so far, such as:

Adding policy values to this policy key has no effect to the Start Menu button tool tip:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\

NoSMBalloonTip (a real setting in Group Policy) - removes tool tip on Start Menu items

NoStartMenuToolTip - no effect

NoStartMenuBalloonTip - no effect

hi

sorry i am late

download tweak ui and install it on your system

it gives u an option to disable these tooltips and many other option to tweak ur desktop

make sure that u download the correct version of tweak ui

search google for tweak ui

u can obtian the correct version of xp installed on ur system by running the winver command at the command prompt

u can also run the following command from the run dialogue box

start >>> run >> winver

bye

let me know if it works or not

bye :hello: