Default Install Path In Start Menu

brian873

Does anyone know of a way to change the way programs usee the stat menu ?

I mean if an application is installed instead of it being put in

START/ALL PROGRAMS

it could be placed in

START/ALL PROGRAMS/NON STANDARD APPS

so all application would automatically be placed here.

Thanks

hail hail

I know of no way as well but maybe you could go through explorer (my computer) to c:\Documents & Settings\username\Start Menu and create the folder and hold the CTRL key and select all the programs you want to move and drag them with the right button to the new folder and click on move files here. It's not automatic but if you make the new folder a short name you could try and remember to type it next time you install something. Things can be dragged around right in the start menu also for future program installs after you have your current programs moved. If you already knew all that sorry to waste your time.

Thanks Kandle.

The only way so far I can see is through a batch command or as Kandle said using explorer.

I will keep looking and post if I find anything as this would be usefull to have.

hail hail

Does anyone know of a way to change the way programs usee the stat menu ?

I mean if an application is installed instead of it being put in START/ALL PROGRAMS it could be placed in START/ALL PROGRAMS/NON STANDARD APPS so all application would automatically be placed here.

Thanks

hail hail

Isn't that what Microsoft's powertoy TWEAKUI under special folders on in the My Computer area?

I believe it changes a registry key. I think the code below would cause all new programs to install in start menu\Non-Standard Programs\Programs

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"Start Menu"="%UserProfile%\\Start Menu\\Non-Standard Programs"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"Common Start Menu"="%AllUsersProfile%\\Start Menu\\Non-Standard Programs"

This is not exactly what you want, but you can get close by manually editing your directory structure and then set these keys to point to where you want the programs to install. Untested and probably a bad idea.

HTH

-ebaysuks

Well, I've tested this now, and it doesn't appear to have any effect. Not sure if it is just something that needs to be set prior to boot or something like that, but I didn't have any luck when testing this on a clean system. Incidently, I didn't get any better results when trying to change it through TweakUI either.

Back to square one, I guess. :(