2003 Server And Audigy 2 ... Problem ?

Hi,

I have 2 Proliant ML370 servers configured as a workstations.

I use it as an Audio Server with 2 "Audigy 2" cards each for my radio station where i work. 24h/day i use these ... and no problem, mostly.

From time to time (1-3 months, 1-2 weeks ...) i heard some "pauses" in sound. I analysed the sound output and i concluded this : it is like the system freezes at some moment (0.5 to 3 seconds). When start to "generate pauses" instead of sound, it apear randomy at 5-10 minutes one after other.

That 2 servers are identical systems, configured identical, all installed identical.

From first server i encountered this only 3 months ago.

From 2th, today and 10 days ago.

All seems ok...except this.

I don't know where to look for problems ... i suspect drivers for souncard.

If it keeps with these pauses, i will try to install XP ... (But i already buyed servers with Licences for 2003 server ... lol)

10x for any help.

(Sorry for my poor english)

Hi gigimarga214,

I used to compose electronical music before, with synths, midi and audio.

I've experienced many small similar problems regarding my Audigy 2 card.

There can be about 100 reasons to why this happens, and I suggest you read the links i provide below. Hope they can be of any help to you! Good Luck! :)

http://www.musicxp.net/index.php

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/...6256A7F007D8FA4

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/arti...usician0703.asp

Hi,

Last night i worked to try to resolv the problem ... i reduced to VIDEO DRIVERS ...

Video card is an onboard Ati Rage XL with 8 MB Ram.

Sound is full hardware accelerated, but video - only directdraw, not direct3d...

When i play a sound, i started "test directdraw" from DxDiag ... and sound is choppen sometimes. And sometimes, when system draws/refresh GUI, is chopped too.

It is first time when i used 2003 and/or audigy 2.

10x, i'm going to see that links.

Hi,

Onboard Audio and Video are seldom a good idea when talking about performance, in my opinion. :unsure:

I believe 8MB onboard is too little for every modern computer. :unsure:

It seems that your Proliant ML370 servers has no AGP port, so I suggest that you buy a PCI graphic card, to relieve some stress for your OS kernel, CPU and RAM.

This will also make your Audigy 2 card happy! :yes:

for example you might consider PowerColor Radeon 9250 PCI 128MB/256MB ,wich is available in my country for 88 USD, wich is very cheap.

If you buy a card like this or any Radeon based card, you might also consider these Omega drivers for better performance.

With your Audigy 2 card, you might also consider these kX Audio Drivers ,wich is compatible with all SoundBlaster Live! cards for overall better performance.

You might also be interested in this article about Partitions

:)

• 3 weeks later...

hey gigimarga214

can i ask which version of the ML370 you have? G3 or G4?

G3

G4

They use different chipsets.. One is ServerWorks and other is Intel.. As far as the pausing/stuttering.. Couple things to note...

Since I imagine you dont do a lot of 3d gaming on the systems (none I bet).. The video card shouldnt be too much trouble..

The audigy 2 is great gamer card but you may want to consider something from their non-consumer (I think that is what I can call it) line of cards.. More for straight audio use (non gaming), might have better luck with the drivers developed for those cards if you can get a pair to try out.

But, with what you have now.. Couple things to consider, move the sound card away from any slots that have card in them.. Leave a gap.. Next, check to make sure intel (if you have G4 systems) has not realeased any chipset driver updates.