Pagefile Problem

h2930

My windows 2003 server standard version is using pagefile.

Eventhough it has 4G ram.

I try stopping pagefile using and try doing many thing that I can.

Now that machine is only doing encoding stuff.

I don't think because of lack of ram capacity.

How can I use ram instead of pagefile?

Have you guys seen this weird situation before?

Help !!

Let windows manage your pagefile... and yes you need a pagefile despite the fact that you have 4GB or RAM. It will manage better and faster than you could on your best day...

If you have 4GB of RAM you don't need a big pagefile.

Faster using pagefile? No. Hard drive's are the biggest bottlenecks in terms of speed. This will only slow you down.

I have 2Gb of RAM on my system, and since I use Photoshop I need that pagefile unfortunately. You can set the min and max easily too. I personally set mine to 256MB/256MB and my system has been fine since.

Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Performance section click the Settings Button > Advanced tab again > at the bottom is Virtual Memory where you will click Change > Select your Drive > Click Custom Size > Enter your values and click Set > Reboot as needed.

With 4GB of RAM, I'd say you could safely set it to 256MB/256MB, though I don't know what all you need it for fully. If you use Photoshop you need a pagefile (sadly enough) and some games also need pagefiles.

Thanks guys..

I did not realize that it needs the pagefile eventhough I have big amount of RAM.

But I don't know why it needs.

On my understanding, pagefile will be utilized only ram is full, right?

Hmm....

Your pageile will be utilised even though you have a huge amount of RAM installed.

More info

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm