What Is Slipstreaming?

Technoguy

Heh, nobody wants to answer this.

I'm brand-new, too, but here's what I understand: Slipstreaming is a method for integrating updates into previous version installers. You basically update your source files to the latest versions.

For example, if you had the Windows XP Home SP1 CD, and you wanted to make it into an XP Home SP2 CD, you would follow the instructions in the guide under Basic, and 'slipstream' the SP2 files and updates INTO the files of your XP SP1. Of course you have to do this on the hard drive, and then burn a new CD with the result.

So, um, confused? I obviously don't quite have a handle on it either. You integrate new files into your old ones.

Get it? Got it? Good. :)

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Copy the files from the install CD onto your hard drive. Update the files, and then burn them back onto a CD for future installs. This doesn't just apply to XP either. You can do this with Windows 2000 and the Office line as well.

Now... the big question that you might have... why? A slipstreamed install will be fully up to date with those security hotfixes/service packs that you would otherwise need to download from Windows Update.

Hope this helps!