Sp2 Problem

ScotzHaze

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have?

I was running an ad-hoc home network between 2 computers, basically to share an internet connection which up until now had no problems what so ever.

Both computers are running on Xp Profesional, the host computer already had the sp2 update installed however when the client computer updated to the sp2 pack the client computer was unable to surf the internet.

We tried turning off the widows firewall as the client computer was saying it was firewalled, but the client computer was still unable to browse although the wireless connection was showing a good connection.

My sister then uninstalled sp2 from the client computer thinking that all would be returned to normal and work as it was before the update and this is where the problem started, now the client computer is continuously restarting and is therefore unable to boot.

I hope that I have supplied enough information for someone to help me in this matter.

Yours Hopefully

ScotzHaze

" :blushing: I do try my best but sometimes my best aint good enough :blushing: "

I think I'd be tempted to go into safe mode and re-install SP2 to see if the client computer regains stability - after all you'll be no worse off if it doesnt work. Then we can work at fixing the connection-sharing issues.

Has the IP address of the computer changed? I seem to remember that the "basic" connection sharing requires a IP of 192.168.0.1 - at least it always used to require this.

Safe mode, reinstall SP2 and subsequenct fixes, then report back.

Jim

You could make a basic Slipstreamed SP2 Windows CD.

Then you maybe able to do a repair install.

But it may look inevitable, that some damage may have been done, to the OS registry?

Just take it one step at a time. Backing up data, would sound wise, either way.

You could make a basic Slipstreamed SP2 Windows CD.

Then you maybe able to do a repair install.

Im a bit new to all this and dont know what a basic Slipstreamed sp2 Windows CD is  :blushing:

But it may look inevitable, that some damage may have been done, to the OS registry?

Just take it one step at a time. Backing up data, would sound wise, either way.

Im afraid I have no way of backing up the data on the client computer as I can not even start it in safe mode :blushing::(

Im a bit new to all this and dont know what a basic Slipstreamed sp2 Windows CD is  :blushing:

Im afraid I have no way of backing up the data on the client computer as I can not even start it in safe mode  :blushing:  :(

A basic slipstreamed SP2 Windows CD is a standard Windows XP CD that has SP2 code integrated into it. If you were to use this kind of CD to install a fresh OS, you would install XP with SP2 right from the start, rather than installing the base OS and then upgrading to SP2 later.

There are some Operating Systems available on CD that can be loaded directly from the CD without having to be installed on the harddrive to run. Something like this may help you recover your data. Also, you have two computers. You can always take the harddrive out of the one that won't boot, install it into the one that does and then copy the information off of the "faulty" harddrive onto the good one.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately there's really not much anyone can do to help troubleshoot your network connectivity problems until you can get the client machine up and running again. :}

First ensure you have succesfully removed SP2:

boot into RC (use your XP disk). Change your command line to c:\windows\ (if its not already)

type:

cd $NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst {Enter}

batch spuninst.txt {Enter}

exit {Enter}

dont type {Enter}. If that recovers your system them go to add/ remove programs and remove (if it exists) Windows Xp hotfix 824141 - reboot

If that fails then......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545