Logon.scr

theundone

I have been reading the MSFN forums for a long time and have made several custom install discs before. One thing I liked to do with XP Pro was to edit the logon.scr images (Resource Hacker and Photoshop to make my own images)

I have recently upgraded to a PC running XP Media Center Edition and wanted to customize it as well. The problem I have with editing the logon screensaver is that the MCE bitmap is not located within the screensaver file as are the bitmaps for XP Home, Pro and Embedded. It appears that the MCE bitmap is located externally. Does anyone know where I can find it and edit it? Thanks.

I found the image in winbrand.dll in the system32 folder, but changing that image does nothing for the screensaver. Unless I'm missing something, I guess I'll have to keep looking....

Edited by theundone

• 2 months later...

i think i may be able to help u out on this one!

the bitmaps in the *.scr file arent showing cuz the pallete for those bitmaps are placed externally..bitmaps are present in the file..but not showing since their pallete is not in the same file..the bitmaps therefore look all black instead of showing windows insignia etc....so...wat to do?

easy..

1. d/l the pallete given below...save it to a convenient location..

2. open the bitmaps in the *.scr file with a graphics program (preferably paintshop pro or photoshop)..or any software which has pallete loading ability..

3. now load the downloaded pallete in ur graphics program..for photoshop it wud be: image > mode > color table > custom pallete load

4. now the images will suddenly start showing all the colors..edit the file using the colors in the pallete..

5. save the file to replace the bitmap in the *.scr file..should work...

NOTES:

1. i did the same with my ntoskrnl.exe file whose images werent showing either..and it worked like a dream when i did the above steps..

2. i recommend opening and editing the images by using Resource Hacker or Resource Edit rather than creating a new image from scratch..this is because of the stupid color depth and format restrictions Microsoft has over alot of its files which use bitmaps..e.g. ntoskrnl.exe, logonui.exe, etc, etc....

HOPE THIS HELPS...its the first time i wrote something in this forum to help someone.. :P *feeling good*