Logonui Programming?

I know how to hack into the current logonui.exe and add my own images to it. But that's not where I wanted to go with this post.

I basicaly wanted to ask if anyone knows if there is a way to program a custom version of logonui.exe to log on to windows. Anyone have any idea?

(Edit) I'm fine with having samples in VB.NET/C#/C++, but I think the theory is more important to my question ;)

You talk about the winlogon.exe, right?

This exe is responsible for login and registering Ctrl+Alt+Del, for example.

It also loads the msgina.dll which manages your login process.

If you only want to change logon dialog or bitmap, this is what you want. Open the msgina.dll as resource, e.g. with ResHacker, and play around.

But be **** careful! Don´t f*** the thing up. Better make backups, try it out on VirtualPC or have sth. like ERD Commander next to you :)

Otherwise you may not be able to login to your windows, yes i know what i am talking about ;).

But if you really want to change login process, e.g. loggin in with fingerprints or sth. you better make yourself familiar with C++ and search the MSDN für GINA.

I played around a little bit with gina programming, but it is really a pain, because i couldn´t debug the thing, and always had to reboot, when i did changes...

so keep it up.