Mangled Japanese Update

nvb

I did a very bad thing and wonder if there's any way out. My japanese friend has Win98 (Japanese Ed) computer with no CD. I had recently added all Windows Updates, but still couldn't get my MuVo USB drive to work on it (the driver required files from CD). I thought installing this SP might help.

I installed, and some of the files gave a message something like "original language file exists, recommend you keep" (as best I could decipher it) and I did keep them. Now, when I boot, and it gets to the Win command, I get the error "Canot run Windows with current code Page. Remove Country= from config.sys and reboot." But there is no Country= in config.sys.

The install instructions said that the SP could be uninstalled from Add/Remove, but of course I can't get there. Any way to uninstall it (any clear place where original files were saved?), or a way to change code page so Win can run? (Prob in registry because can't find in any standard bootup files.

Thanks much. I already know I'm an id*** for doing it.

Unfortunately, I think that from the way you are describing your problem, your only real chance will be to try to boot into Safe Mode. i.e. hit F8 a few times as Windows is loading after restarting the computer, and choose Safe Mode from the command list that pops up. Then, if it will let you in with safe mode, make the necessary changes you need to fix the problem and restart it back into normal Windows. Otherwise, a new install of Windows might be your only hope. To the best of my knowledge 98 does not support "repair installs" like Windows 2000 and XP both do.

I've had an experience to install SP2 in Japanese 98 environment.

You might find Windows 98 setup files in Options directory under c:\windows.

So, boot up the comupter in DOS and launch Setup.exe in above directory to install win98 again.

In my experience, do not install "Hot fixes" and "USB Driver" of SP2. It makes Japanese Windows 98 unbootable.

Thanks much for your suggestions.

I tried re-installing, but the same problem remained. Last (sleepless) night, I figured out a way that I can let him borrow my computer for a couple weeks while I track down a real CD for him. Then I can do a clean reformat and reinstall. I'll look around on this site (I'm new here) for any 98-XP comparisons to help decide which is best for him.

Living without an OS CD is something I wouldn't want to do :-).

BTW, Nakaiy, do you have any idea of problems that would come from installing WinXP (English) on a Japanese (Sony Vaio) computer? English WinXP has the IME built in, and I use it with no problems on my computer, but I don't know if the extra keys on a Japanese computer would cause problems. I think it would be helpful for my friend (who is "trying" to learn English), if he had to use English menus but could still write in Japanese when he wants to.

Thanks again.

Installing English Windows XP in Japanese Computer is no problem :thumbup

I used to install and use English WinXP in my VAIO FX.

( simply because I hated OS in Japanese Language :wacko: )

You can install Japanese 106 keyboard driver as well.

Only problem with WinXP is its complexity.

More than 128MB ram is required to get comfortable speed in WinXP.

goot luck :)