Where to enlighten myself? =)

the littleguy

Hi there!

I've used Windows XP for quite some time but still haven't figured it all out in terms of what the system really consists of. :huh:

So, I would really appreciate if someone could direct me to a homepage, book or similar where I could find an (extensive or not) overview of the system's mechanics.

Extensive in-depth manuals for specific items, for example the registry or services are also appreciated but I would like to get that overview first then. :)

Well, there's many different angles to it.

So you'd have to decide if you want to know about it from the point of view of being a newbie user, or a power user, or a multimedia-centric user, as an office employee, as a programmer, as a gamer, as an administrator, as a network-manager, as a hacker, as a cracker, as a teacher, as a web-centric person, UserInterface designer, etc.

To get a start, you could get the books by MS Press:

Windows XP Bible

Windows XP Inside-Out

Another very good book:

Windows XP for Dummies

Then you have the Help system within Windows XP.

Then of course, your everyday usage comes.... you just happen to simply absorb all that experience - there's no way it could be learnt/taught (if at all it was TAUGHT, it would be an exercise in academic futility). And a large part of the learning process happens if you have experience with products prior to the current one - so in discovering the differences you learn more.

After all this to build your base, for more advanced knowledge, you have MSFN.org ;)

And of course the certification programmes at the higher end.....

Only thing I don't understand is, why would you specifically want to know about XP, when its pretty much outdated (as far as cutting-edge goes) having been around since 4 years! The new biggie on the horizon is Longhorn. :D (codename of the release)

Well Little guy...I think you have arrived at one of the best and most informative places to learn about the interworkings of MS related software.

We have many guides, how to's and a massive forum database jam packed with answers to you many questions.

Check out the search feature...it can help you alot...

If yo cant seem to find a answer to your question feel free to post it in the proper section, it will mostly liklly be answerd promptly.

Good luck and Welcome to the MSFN community.

:)

|Drew|