NT 4.0 domain troubles

Raenny

Hi, I am in desperate need of some help. I have a pc that was acquired used that has some software that I need to be able to access without losing. The problem is when I boot this pc up it comes up to a log in screen that has a list of 6 or so domains. I have reset the admin password with a 3rd party tool but the pc will always try and access one of these domains and will never find it. I know the log in and pw are good but it doesnt find the domain and will not continue to boot to windows. Is there a way to reset these domains so that this pc knows it is a stand alone pc? I have also used a dos boot up disk but once it boots to dos it doesn't recognize the hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The computer is part of those domains and must be connected to one of those domains to log in.

You should be able to log onto the local machine. In the list of the domains their should be a choice for the local machine but even then I'm not sure you can run the programs you want without being logged onto a domain.

If you just need to get some files off of the computer you could try bartsPE.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Ge0ph said, you can still log on locally to the PC, just select the computer/system name from the domain list drop down box.

If that does not work, use a BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD disk to reset the admin. pwd.

You might consider creating a backdoor admin. account to aid in eliminating this problem in the future.

Good luck.