"A disk read error occurred" (WinXP)

bowelripper

My wireless network went down, so I had to reset the router and everything to get it going again. After I configured it I got a bluescreen of death saying the cause of the problem was the file ar5211.sys (which is the driver file for the wireless PCI card). I restarted, but immediatly after getting into Windows XP (SP2), I got the bluescreen again. I tried restarting once more, but the same thing happened (bluescreen).

Then, when restarting, I got the message "A disk read error occurred - Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart" right after the "Verifying DMA pool" message. I could not get into Windows XP anymore.

I reinstalled Windows on another partition, keeping the original installation intact on drive C. After reinstallation the disk read error message disappeared. I found out that the file ntoskrnl.exe was missing from the \system32 directory. I copied it into there, and tried booting into the original, faulty XP installation. I only ended up booting into a black screen with only the mouse cursor present.

Does anybody have any idea what happened? Seems like the wireless equipment somehow f***ed up Windows?

Do you think there is a chance I could get the original XP installation up & going again? (I'm tired of reinstallations.)

Thanks!

PS. If you were wondering...

Router: Topcom Skyracer Pro WBR 654. PCI card: Topcom Skyracer Pro PCI 150