Create Error Log

Quick question,

Is there a way to make and out text file for an error log of everything that is going on during unattended install. Mainly for the silent install of all my applications.

Instead of sitting and watching the whole process, I just want to view a log of everything that is going on. Any comments on my question(s) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jquintino, there's no need to use something like this with runonceEX. This logging does nothing except for taking the output of the .CMD file running and logging it to a text file.

For example,

echo this is a test  >> %systemdrive%\temp\log.txt

Try that, and you will see what I mean.

Similarly, you can just run a command to send the ENTIRE batch-file's output into a text-file.

start /b /wait %systemdrive%\install\filename.cmd >> %systemdrive%\temp\log.txt

You need to run that command from one batch-file to get another batch-file's output logged.

Ringfinger, there's nothing special about postins.cmd - its just one of the batch-files being logged that's all. You can call your own batch-file by any name and log it. For example, let's say you have a batch-file called app-installs.cmd in your "$OEM$\$1\install\" folder on the CD. (I assume you know how it gets copied, and where it gets copied to.) So your main.cmd file would be run from GUIrunOnce (isn't it ?) and in turn it would call app-installs.cmd in the same CMD window and log its output.

main.cmd

start /b /wait %systemdrive%\install\app-installs.cmd >> %systemroot%\temp\uA-log.txt

You can log it to anywhere you want.

I hope I was able to explain clearly....

Please post back with your results, and if you have anymore questions just ask!