Replacing wpa.db_ in I386 folder

I know you can install your wba.dbl file by putting it in $OEM$/$$/System32.

But what about using compress.exe (from microsoft) to compress your own wpa.dbl and replacing the one in the I386 folder.Would it work?

If nobody knows, I'll give it a try when I get the chance.

i think wpa.dbl stores the registartion(windows product activtion) information. right?.

if iam right then copy ur registred wpa.dbl from system32 folder and compress it by microsoft cab compresser or use tools like winace..and rename it as WPA.DB_ and move it to i386 folder.

and iam sure it will work.

Found this website on wpa.dbl and activation from an earlier post...

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Sounds to me like what you propose (cabbing wpa.dbl) may work, as long as the volume label is the same on the hard drive. Except - any way to guarantee the wpa.dbl is copied to the proper folder?

I see there is a wpa.db_ on the Dell OEM CD, which is pre-activated. Is there a wpa.db_ on the retail editions of XP, or non-pre-activated OEM CD's? If so, this just might work, as long as the drive's volume label stays the same.

Let me save everyone the trouble. Slipstreaming in your "saved" activation via the wpa.dbl file is just not worth the trouble. Consider this: if you do have a working wpa.dbl file that stores your computer's hardware configuration post-activation, it stands to reason that 1) You've activated your computer and 2) Microsoft has stored your hardware information on their activation servers as a result. Now, if the wpa.dbl file you have is going to work, then the online activation is going to work as well. It's also quite possible that in certain cases where your saved wpa.dbl file will not work (changed volume label, etc.), an online activation will succeed (120 day rollover, hardware still in tolerance, etc).

If you want to automate the activation process, activate.exe (included in support tools) can help you do this, or you can also accomplish it via a .vbs script.