NTFS Dirty Bit

GyBear

Hello,

Does anyone know:

1) What exactly (description/location,...) is the NTFS Volume dirty bit;

2) A way to programatically/automatically/instantly reset it (i.e. w/o running CHKDSK or any other HDD utility).

TIA

(N.B.: I did run some searches & checked several sites before posting.)

Well why would you want to do that, it was flagged dirty for a reason. If chkdsk fixes it everytime you scan then there is probably something wrong with your hdd. SO then you would have to goto the mfgs site and download their diagnostics and see if it will fix it, if it wont then the hdd is bad and you need to replace it,

Hello 10-4$, long time no see. Bloody e-mail notification doesn't seem to work here.

Thx for the last link. Very interesting. At least you're not trying to patronize me like some here. :whistle:

I've been using the M$ fsutil (That incidentally can only SET the dirty bit ON, never OFF).

I didn't know about SysInternals's one, and a search for it on their site returned nil. Oh, I guess you must have to buy it. Like NAV Server maybe?

FYI, constantly resetting the :realmad: dirty bit ON seems to be a Norton AV feature. I strongly suspect it has to do with Recycle Bin protection.

The only way workaround I found was to issue a CHKNTFS [drive:] /X command that permanently forbids CHKDSK to run at startup. Hmmm....

Have a few for me B)