Weird Sysprep Issue

i have a ghost image, which at present has been working well on Compaq Deskpro, Compaq Evo D500, D510, and HP/Compaq D530.

i have just had delivery of some DC7100 (HP's new corp desktop) and am trying to add the new drivers to my image, then re sysprep, and ghost ready for deployment.

I dropped the new image onto the PC, logged in, added the drivers into their own folder (i have a root folder called PnPDrvrs with all my drivers in), then ammended the Reg Entry for Devices HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion, and removed the OEMPNPDRIVERS entry from my sysprep file (as i have issues with adding driver path into sysprep, then it messing with the REG entry.

I have also added the IgnoreUnsignedDrivers entry into sysprep, as i read that if the drivers are unsigned, then they wont detect in mini setup, you get the 'found new hardware wizard' upon 1st boot of windows.

So after doing all the above, i removed all device specific drivers from Device manager (by uninstalling the ACPI as usual) then run sysprep, and select reseal and mini setup.

ghost up the image to the ghost server, and then after captuing the image, reboot the machine to make sure it all works OK.

The machine boots fine, and starts the mini setup, then gets to the screen with the square box in it, and then eventually just hangs there. :(

I had a feeling it may have been because i have D530 Drivers on there, along with the newer DC7100 drivers, and sysprep may have been getting confused by looking at different drivers and not knowing which ones to install, so i removed the D530 Sound and Video drivers, re sysprepped, and still the same, so i am stuck at the point of sysprep not completing :(

Any ideas?

No ideas yet, but we have the same problem - on some DC7100 and not others... pain in the a*se these machines...

Hangs on mini-setup, reboot and they complete correctly.

If I find anything when I look into it properly next week, I'll let you know.

thanks,

Em Kay

• 2 weeks later...

I find a solution. Try to modify de sysprep.inf, to change from Uniprocessor to Multiprocessor (DC7100 uses Hiperthreading, and simulates two processors):

[unattended]

UpdateHAL="ACPIAPIC_UP,%windir%\inf\hal.dll"

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

OemSkipEula=Yes

Later you should actualtize the Chipset, Ethernet, Graphics, and Sound drivers.

• 2 weeks later...