Small script to help adding applications.

@ Webmedic:

English is not my first language... when I typed "No thanks", i meant something like "you're welcome"!

Anyway, I do am interested because you said that you accessed a share in the T-12 stage. Did you? And how?

Oh sure thats no problem. Sorry for the missunderstanding.

Well the issue is that micrsoft left out some info in the system hive so you need to edit it and add back the missing info.

To fix this problem, edit the Hivesys.inf file on your Windows XP distribution share, and add the following missing statement after the HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder",,0x00000012 line:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order",,0x00000012

this will allow you to do installs from t-12 and t-13 since the rest of the networking is up and running.

Enjoy.

Okay, it works, but only under specific conditions:

It does not work when I try to connect using: net use \\10.0.0.152\dist /user:unattended unattended.

But when I try net use \\10.0.0.152\dist enter and then type unattended and password unattended, then it does work!

You have these same "problems"? Ofcourse, this way user-input is required and thus my installation will not be unattended.

Note: I'm referring to the t-12 stage and not regular GUI-mode.

well no i dont have this as I have my setup files on my linux box and I specificly have it setup to use share for security. This no user name or password is required. I would not mind working with you to find a solution to this though.

I'm sure you already know it but here is the complete syntax for that stage

net use <drive letter>: \\<server>\<share> /user:<domain>\<user> [<password>] /persistent:no

It may be that it really wants a drive letter or something like that. I have not tried the above line yet but I did write it down as part of my documentation for this.

well no i dont have this as I have my setup files on my linux box and I specificly have it setup to use share for security. This no user name or password is required. I would not mind working with you to find a solution to this though.

I'm sure you already know it but here is the complete syntax for that stage

net use <drive letter>: \\<server>\<share> /user:<domain>\<user> [<password>] /persistent:no

It may be that it really wants a drive letter or something like that. I have not tried the above line yet but I did write it down as part of my documentation for this.

This is not entirely true, i cannot use the <drive letter>: at all. If i run net use /? i don't see it listed here either. Are you using another version?

@Afterdawn

Just one suggestion.

Can you edit your first post starting this topic and put here the working script:

I'm a bit confused with the one to use.

You can add the edit tag (with date) to let the users know you have enhanced your script.

and nice works, i will keep it for my RIS install to connect to my network share after OS install to launch software installs.

@soulin & Afterdawn

Thanks for NET USE issue solved

@staples

Thanks for the MAP DRIVE script

@webmedic

Thanks for the hivesys.inf entries to solve the problem. Hope it works also for 2K. gonna check this...

I learn and learn more with members of MSFN.

@Bilou_Gateux:

Okay thanks for the tip, I added the "edited ..." line.

Also, I'm not changing my whole first post, otherwise all the first replies won't make sense anymore right? A link to the most recent version should be enough in my opinion.

• 5 months later...

Just a question, how to deploy m$ hotfix from network with his solution ? :blushing:

I know that the hotfixes installation will execute at the "13 minutes left" stage, but how to execute them from a network share ?

I have already a working svcpack folder + inf and dosnet.inf on my cd.

In dosnet.inf can i make this ? :

[OptionalSrcDirs]

\\serveur\SVCPACK

instead of

[OptionalSrcDirs]

SVCPACK

thx :hello: