Not sure about these Registry tweaks!

1) How do I enable the network icon to show in the system tray?

2) How do I change my DVD drive letter from d:\ to z:\ ?

3) How do I change my XP account photo to my own photo file?

4) In task mgr there is a ""show all processes" check box, how do you modify this in the registry?

5) How can one modify the power mgt settings in the registry? Or disable them altogether?

6) How do you Disable Personalized menus?

I did read through that HUGE Registry_Tweaks.txt but I couldn't find any of the above...thanks for any help guys!

One other thing, on my IBM T30 I install the ATI drivers for the video card but I can't set the screen resolution to 32bit color until I have rebooted. Is there a way to work around this? ie: fully automate it At the mo I have to set it to 32bit color after the first reboot manuall....;-(

you should do a search, a lot of this has been covered...

but here ya go:

On Error Resume Next

set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

start = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet"

'classGUID = GUID for all Network Connection Class

classGUID = ws.RegRead(start & "\Enum\Root\MS_NDISWANIP\0000\ClassGUID")

'netIDxx = UID for each member of the Network Connection Class containing specific network adapters

netID01 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0001\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID02 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0002\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID03 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0003\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID04 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0004\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID05 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0005\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID06 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0006\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID07 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0007\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID08 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0008\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID09 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0009\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID10 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0010\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID11 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0011\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID12 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0012\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID13 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0013\NetCfgInstanceID")

netID14 = ws.RegRead(start & "\Control\Class\" & classGUID & "\0014\NetCfgInstanceID")

' setIcon recieves location of current network connections and also flag (1) to turn on showIcons

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID01 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID02 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID03 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID04 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID05 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID06 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID07 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID08 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID09 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID10 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID11 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID12 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID13 & "\Connection\", 1

setIcon start & "\Control\Network\" & classGUID & "\" & netID14 & "\Connection\", 1

'MsgBox "Show icon in Notification Area when connected is set.", 4096,"Finished"

'********************************************************

' Subroutine setIcon(nicID as String, flag as Binary)

' strName = Registry Value of "Name" in Current nicID. Network connections with Icons also contain a "Name"  Registry setting

' Will not effect 1394 Connection through string comparison with strName

' flag is used to turn to set ShowIcon registry setting

Sub setIcon(nicID,flag)

strName = ws.RegRead( nicID & "Name")

If strName  = "" Then

else

if InStr(strName, "1394") = 0 then

' MsgBox strName

ws.RegWrite nicID & "ShowIcon", flag, "REG_DWORD"

end if

end if

End Sub

5. save these keys form your registry (works for me):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\GlobalPowerPolicy]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power]

I also forgot to mention, how on earth do I get the "Status Bar" in Explorer to be enabled? What is the registry tweak for this?

And yes, i have searched long and hard to find all these but no luck so far...;-(

woooooaaa dude, South Africa is hotter than you can imagine right now!!! About 95F at the mo.

I tried searching for these registry tweaks but I just can't find em in the forums, please help. These are the only ones I need to complete the ultimate unattended DVD!!! ;-))))

2) Search for "+change +drive +letter" (without the quotes) and read the last topic.

3) Search for "+account +picture" (without the quotes) and read the first topic.

4) What do you mean by modifying it?

6) If you search for "+personalized +menus" (without the quotes), and set Result Type to Show results as posts, you can find the answer in the last post (the only post that's not in this topic).

7) If you search for "+explorer +status*", and set Result Type to Show results as posts, you can find the answer in the second post.

If Result Type is set to posts instead of topics, you have to click on the number next to "Post Preview:" to go to the post right away. As you can see it's easy to find things, as long as you know how the search works.

I STILL can't find out how to change the picture of an account on the XP Welcome Screen...does anyone have any ideas how to do this on the unattneded XP install CD?

I want to DISABLE power management in the registry, that is what I mean by modifying it. I want all the values to say "Never" so my screen, hard drive etc never goes into power saving mode. Ideas?

Thanks guys, you rock! Help an (South) African brother out here!

Quote from the topic I hoped you would find:

It's called a user account picture and resides in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures"

It's filename is the name of your user account. In this case, it's "Administrator.bmp".

To change it, just put a file called "Administrator.bmp" in the "$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" directory on your CD.

And I was talking about point 4, where you say you want to modify the "show all processes" checkbox in task manager.

Edit: I made a06lp's vbs file a bit shorter, pasting it here so I can remove it from my comp :)

On Error Resume Next

Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Key       = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet"
GUID      = Shell.RegRead(Key & "\Enum\Root\MS_NDISWANIP\0000\ClassGUID")

For I = 0 To 15
  If I < 10 Then N = "000" & I Else N = "00" & I

ID = Shell.RegRead(Key & "\Control\Class\" & GUID & "\" & N & "\NetCfgInstanceID")
  NA = Key & "\Control\Network\" & GUID & "\" & ID & "\Connection\"

If InStr(Shell.RegRead(NA & "Name"), "1394") = 0 Then Shell.RegWrite NA & "ShowIcon", 1, "REG_DWORD"
Next

EXCELLENT...thanks for the changing of the user account photo!

Does anyone know how to change the power mgt settings in the registry to "Never"? Anyone? Pleeaaaaase....

When you load Adobe 6.0 Professional, is there a way to disable that screen on the right hand side with all the shortcuts? There is checkbox to stop that screen from loading up the next time you run Adobe but I was wondering how I can change that in the registry?

What is the command to create shortcuts on the desktop during an UA install of XP?

How do I disable the screensaver?

I have looked high and low for this one but I will ask it anyway: I have an unattended install of WinDVD6 Platimum BUT how do I go about registering it automatically during the UA install of XP? I have tried fiddling with registry keys but no luck do far...HELP!

Yeah, here's my registry entry for power settings, I also like everything set to NEVER:

;Change Power Management Configuration, to wit:
;0 - Home/Office desktop
;1 - Portable/Laptop computer
;2 - Monitor on for presentations
;3 - Network computer (no Wake-on-LAN)
;4 - Optimized for high performance
;5 - Optimized for power saving
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="3"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\3]
"Name"="Always On"
"Description"="Monitor, Hard Disks, and System Standby power options set to NEVER."
"Policies"=hex:01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,32,32,00,00,02,00,00,00,02,00,\
 00,00,01,00,00,00,14,f2,06,00,00,00,00,00,84,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,08,07,00,\

Check your own registry keys against these values after making the changes to be sure. :yes:

Thanks for the power mgt help but they didn't work....;-(

I tried your registry settings and it didn't change my settings to NEVER.

I also tried setting everything in the power options to NEVER and then exporting those values. Then I changed the settings back to (say) 30min and ran that registry key with the NEVER settings but it just will not set any of them to NEVER.

Is there somewhere else that this has to be changed?

Thanks!

as far as setting 32-bit color, I think you can set that in WINNT.SIF (that's what I use to specify 16-bit color and I install on ATI cards all the time).

In WINNT.SIF, insert the following:

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=16
   Xresolution=1024
   YResolution=768
   Vrefresh=75

Change the Bits... line to 32 and it should work.

JP

• 5 weeks later...
Guest do_not_email
Thanks for the power mgt help but they didn't work....;-(

I tried your registry settings and it didn't change my settings to NEVER.

I also tried setting everything in the power options to NEVER and then exporting those values. Then I changed the settings back to (say) 30min and ran that registry key with the NEVER settings but it just will not set any of them to NEVER.

Is there somewhere else that this has to be changed?

Thanks!

I had the same problem. I ended up restarting (hopefully that's all it did) power management. So merge the reg file the run

Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,load current pwr scheme

and then the options should change for you. I think that is command I used. Will check on Wed when I get back to work.