Cannot open INSTALL.log error !

Hi,

after i finished my unsttended XP cd and installed it, I observe that some program does not work properly or even cannot be ununstalled. I don't know as well, if this is due to some components remove with nlite.

I would like some advices about this ....

The error is when i want to uninstalled a program like toad, system mechanic, it says that it cannot open INSTALL.log.

With system mechanic, I also cannot clean my drive cause it cannot see them etc ...

Thanks for your help so that i can plan to do a new CD with less components removed if it is the cause .... :no:

Weebs,

I've also had this problem too. the culprit, for me anyway, appears to be the unwise uninstall executable. Alot of programs use the WISE installer which creates an install.log file for a supposedly easy uninstallation. So first of all find out if the program you are trying to get rid of has the UNWISE.EXE file.

However sometimes UNWISE.EXE cannot see the install.log file and so cannot proceed. I have yet to find out why this happens, but IF the offending program was installed using WISE, then there is a fairly simple solution.

Either modify the uninstall shortcut so that it reads as unwise.exe install.log or navigate to the directory through a DOS prompt and just type the same thing to start the uninstall process.

I hope this helps or at least gives you a few ideas to try out.

ok, i try Dreadnort, and it works for some uninstallation, but not for all.

I surf on wise website and here it was it said :

There are three possible reasons why the uninstall program cannot locate the installation log:

1. The installation did not create a log.

Open the Installation Log page in Installation Expert and mark an option other than "Do not create installation log." Select the location for the installation log in the Destination Computer window and enter the file name for the log in the Install Log File Name field.

2. The uninstall string in the registry is not accurate.

The installation log is located in a directory with a long filename (for example, C:\Program Files\Sample), and the registry key related to the uninstall program (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<ProgramName>) does not correctly point to the directory. The uninstall registry key may have a value of "C:\Program Files\Sample\UNWISE.EXE C:\Program Files\Sample\INSTALL.LOG" (not including the quotes). When the uninstall attempts to execute, the command stops after C:\Program because of the space character and then uninstall fails. To resolve this issue, the registry key should read "C:\Program Files\Sample\UNWISE.EXE" "C:\Program Files\Sample\INSTALL.LOG" (including the quotes) or "C:\PROGRA~1\SAMPLE\UNWISE.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\SAMPLE\INSTALL.LOG" (not including the quotes).

3. The end user has accidentally deleted the installation log.

The end user has deleted the installation log since first running the installation. The end user must reinstall the program, which recreates the installation log, to uninstall the program.

But my question, is how cant hat happen. I saw some people on the net having the same problem when others not.

Where that problem could come from ?

Right now, I am doing a new fresh clean XP CD from my master XP without any sp plus the SP2.

I hope it will give me some answers and help me run TOAD again as well.

Thanks if any of you have any good clues ...

Weebs,