Mozilla Firefox 1.0 Deployment

Lucid

Well, after tinkering with deploying Firefox to my end users I thought I'd post the steps in case someone else wnated to easily deploy the web browser (I thought I'd put it up here as well as in another location - just in case).

First off, I wanted a deployment that had a progress bar, so my end users could tell weather or not things were working, so if you want a totally silent deployment you'll need to do more work.

Secondly, I wanted something I can easily adjust without having to go back in and repackage everything (and I dislike having to do too much work to a software package - after all, that's the sort of thing they should fix at the company).

So, with that said, here are the steps I went through to configure the installation for Windows XP Professional:

1. Download the Mozilla Firefox installation, and then execute the installation, but do not proceed to install the software.

3. Navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Temp" and locate the folder containing the extracted Mozilla Firefox files (it's best to clear out your Temp files and folders before doing this step).

4. Copy the extracted files into a folder somewhere else on your hard drive, then exit from the unfinished Mozilla Firefox installation.

5. Edit the "Config.ini" file located in the folder containing the extracted files (use Notepad). Change "Run Mode = Silent" and all of the "Show Dialog=TRUE" to "Show Dialog=FALSE" (change all of them except the section titled "[Dialog Installing]", leave this one to TRUE). After testing the basic installation, try editing the other settings to get what you want.

6. Save the "AutoInstall.vb script:

' Automatic Mozilla Firefox installation and configuration script.

Option Explicit
Dim WshShell, objFSO

On Error Resume Next

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

' Executes the installation.
WshShell.Run "setup.exe", 1, False

' Verifies that the installation has completed (checks every two seconds).
While WshShell.AppActivate("Install Complete") = FALSE
wscript.sleep 2001
Wend
WScript.Sleep 502

'Brings the installer to the foreground.
WshShell.AppActivate "Install Complete"
WScript.Sleep 1003

'Sends keystroke to close the installation window.
WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
WScript.Sleep 3004

' OPTIONAL CUSTOMIZATIONS
' Configures Firefox preferences.
If objFSO.FileExists ("user.js") Then
objFSO.CopyFile "user.js", (SystemDrive & "\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\user.js"), True
End If

If objFSO.FileExists ("bookmarks.html") Then
objFSO.CopyFile "bookmarks.html", (SystemDrive & "\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html"), True
End If

If objFSO.FileExists (SystemDrive & "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Mozilla Firefox.lnk") Then
objFSO.DeleteFile (SystemDrive & "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Mozilla Firefox.lnk"), True
End If

If objFSO.FileExists (SystemDrive & "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox\Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).lnk") Then
objFSO.DeleteFile (SystemDrive & "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox\Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).lnk"), True
End If

Wscript.Quit

I think that's most of it (in a rough nutshell). Hopefully there will be an easier method to silent install the package with customizations someday (I know there are plenty of MSI packages out there that others have built, but I prefer knowing what's in my package when I'm deploying it to a few hundred workstations).

- Lucid

your method won't work if you have a extension or theme installed. why? b/c on the chrome folder you can find a chrome.rdf file that contains the full path to those ext/themes without strings, so if your username is different than the first machine your browser will be totally f***** and appear weird.

about the script, well don't look bad, but... it won't work on my system (or a non localized english system), b/c my %PROGRAMFILES% folder is not named "Program Files" :P. you can use strings that can solve the problem

i would recommend you to look at @jdoe's script to read how he managed it or maybe using a simple .cmd to install the .xpi and .jar and the installer from my thread. i personally place the files on the correct path with a .rar sfx together with crahak's method and for me it tastes better :D

don't want to offend, just a friendly critic :P