Lost access to networked computer

betzkorn

I recently installed XP SP2, and upon doing so lost access to one of my networked computers.

I whave a WiFi setup, and had two of my computers networked and mapped at the time of the installation. The computer that I installed XP SP2 to can now see and access the computer that was not mapped at the time of the installation, but can only see the computer that was mapped.

If i try to access the computer that was mapped, I get a message either saying it's path can not be found, or that i do not have sufficient privaledges to access it.

I have since mapped my other computer, and it works fine on the computer that I upgraded to SP2.

Anyone have any clues???

Any idea how to break this? Turning the firewall on and off did noting. I even manually activated all ports that were being used by the SP2 upgraded machine. Nothing would break this.

I was thinking of unmapping everything, then reinstalling SP2 to see if this breaks the spell.

Did you map the ports inbound and outbound? Is file and print sharing still enabled on the PC you upgraded to SP2?

MS has articles on how to enable file and print sharing with SP2. Check them out.

Thanks TGUY.

Yes I searched the Microdsoft Knowledge base and tried everything they recommended. I'll check the port stuff again, I didn't realize that their would be inbound and outbound. I did copy all port activity as per the way Knowledge base recommended, so i think i captured both. And yes, file and print sharing are active. The machine maps fine to my other PC and printer, it just can't access (but can see) the PC and printer that were mapped when I upgraded to SP2.

I'll check the ports once again, and will try my SP2 reinstall to see if it shakes things clean.

I spent another evening trying to takle this problem. I have located a couple of websites that address it, but did not provide a solution. Funny enough I saw my exact problem listed as a bug with XP SP1 with a Hotfix from Microsoft, but it was supposed to be ressolved with SP2.

Anyway, I give up. I am going to reinstal XP clean and stick with XP1a.

Thanks all.

As it turns out, the problem was witht he Macintosh eMac computer. I installed a clean XP onto the machine I thought was not working, and it did not resolve the problem. I tested my network with a new laptop running XP, and had the same networking problems with the eMac. After installing Mac OS X 10.3.5, all was well. Mac OS X 10.3.6 and/or 10.3.7 does not work on an eMac and an XP network.