how to kill cdex.exe

Hello everyone!

i had some trouble killing cdex install recently, due to the fact that not cdex.exe launches itself after install (which would then let runonceex simply continue), but the actual instalshield asks u wether u would like to view the readme or not and then runonceex doesn't continue...

so i was lookng for a solution but didn't want to spend so much time online (still too expensive on dial up).

the way i found for me isn't the sleekest one but works quite fine.

i thought mayb some1 has got a question on that matter too and this might be helpfull (provided u r using runonceex method):

RunOnceEx- entry:

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Installing CDex 1.51" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Apps\CDex\CDexinst.cmd" /f

(replace Names,Values and path according to ur environment and wishes)

CDexinst.cmd setup:

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

IF EXIST D:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=D:

IF EXIST E:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=E:

IF EXIST F:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=F:

IF EXIST G:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=G:

IF EXIST H:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=H:

IF EXIST I:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=I:

IF EXIST J:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=J:

IF EXIST k:\DVD.nfo set CDROM=k:

START %CDROM%\Apps\CDex\cdex_151.exe /S

Sleep.exe 10

Taskkill.exe /F /IM cdex_151.exe

EXIT

again: replace Names and Pathes as requiered.

of course the "IF EXIST" comands are only applicable if setting up from cd/dvd without using the $OEM$ folders.

"DVD.nfo" refers to a file in the root cd/dvd layer which can be any file but must be unique to the disk cause it makes identification of the drive possible for the batch command. it doesn't need to contain anything.

sleep.exe refers to a little tool which needs to be copied into the sytem32-folder before cdexinst.cmd is executed. it can be found here:

Sleep-exe

taskkill everyone knows i believe.

the whole trick actually just is: not using the START /wait comand but just the START [path} comand! as simple as this. its probably possible to integrate that in runonceex too so we wouldn't need CDexinst.cmd at all but i didn't know how.

any questions?

i'm not online very often but feel free to reply.i do check every now and again.

if u consider this contribution as completely unnecessary please say so. i just felt like sharing a rare moment of success. killing cdx had been a major headache the last days! :(

sneakyghost

guess cuz i don't know much about this stuff really and i'm just finding out my options-so thanx a lot for telling me.

BTW:

dunno why but ASPI layer ain't working anymore since a coupla month. been in australia for awhile and when i came back it didn't work anymore. i rebuild the exact soft and hardware environment i was using last year and it still isn't working.

one of the really strange storys...

sneaky