what is this called? pls identify

It's called a user account picture and resides in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures"

It's filename is the name of your user account. In this case, it's "Administrator.bmp".

To change it, just put a file called "Administrator.bmp" in the "$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" directory on your CD.

Thanks guys i was trying to use the search but i couldn't figure out what is called.

Thank You Again.

RaveRod I will give it a try now.

Question, Can i just RAR the file up and have it Extract to

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures"

another question is does anyone have links or icons they want to share?

48 X 48 ?

It should be right to extract it (although I don't see why you would want to RAR up one bmp file, unless your extracting many user account pictures)?

I can't be sure if it'll apply or not though. Should but no promises.

Just to let you know, Astalavista, the bitmap file doesn't have to be 48 x 48. I use the same picture of the cheshire cat that I use for my avatar here as my User Account Picture. It's native size is 200 x 142. When I submitted it to MSFN, it was automatically resized to 100 x 100. Unfortunately this changed the relative size of height and width, and my kitty now looks sorely in need of a diet. In assigning it to my UAP, it gets scaled down without changing the relative size. This means I have a light blue bar above and below the actual picture to make it into a square, but at least it doesn't make me look like a fat cat. ;)