Legality of Royale

sintaxasn

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the legal use of the Energy Blue theme. I'm working on a company wide XP deployment and a lot of people have seen Energy Blue and expressed an interest in having it the default theme. It's cleaner looking than Luna.

However, as it was intended for use on Tablet PC, and you need to bypass the original Microsoft Exe to get it working under XP, I'm not sure if we're "allowed" to use it, even though it's digitally signed by MS.

Anyone have any info or thoughts on this? An official stance would be great but probably difficult to get :(

Thanks, Dan.

Its meant for use only on Tablet PC, so you have already seen that it doesn't install on XP home/pro.

But if you want to use it, don't bother about "allowed". It would just come in the same category as people hacking the uxtheme.dll and using 3rd party VisualStyles. MS won't really bother to come and get you just for the Royale theme. :P On the contrary, the longer you are fascinated with their products, the better for them since you get locked-in to them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually the royal theme is part of Media Center (but it's called energy blue)... it might be part of Tablet PC as well, I don't know. They won't care, it's just a style and you need the operating system to use it anyway, so they still get money in the end. (it came free with a different os, so it's like using a free game that came in a cereal box on multiple computers)