Unable to see C: from boot disk

GeneralMandible

Try checking if fdisk (or partition magic) can see the partition from DOS.

Next, if it still is problematic to see the C: drive, using a bartPE (with XPE plugin) bootable CD would be in order. It will give you a winXP-type interface, and if you still can't access C: drive from bartPE there's got to be something horribly wrong there (because the PE will allow you to easily read FAT16/32 and NTFS partitions).

Then afterwards when you boot into normal windows, of course... its the standard drill with Ad-Aware, HijackThis, and virus tests, etc.

Then afterwards when you boot into normal windows, of course...  its the standard drill with Ad-Aware, HijackThis, and virus tests, etc.

Now, etc. included SpyBot S&D and Spyware Blaster right? ;)

is your c: NTFS? if it is, u won't be able to see it.

I think UBCD has NTFSpro or something to be able to read ntfs partitions.

but if u got Bart's PE on CD, try that, u should be able to see it. if not, it's something else. partition magic as mentioned above should be able to tell u more.

I figured it out. It was Norton GoBack. :realmad: Apparently it changes the files system to Type 44 Hex for some stupid reason. This is the second time I've seen an issue with GoBack. It sucks.

To fix it, I used PTEdit from Partition Magic and set it to FAT32. Then I used the "fdisk /mbr" command to fix the master boot record. Then I removed GoBack from the Autoexec.bat file.

After that was off, I could use the WUBCD and remove files and reg entries. :)

Oh well, good for you.

I had a similar problem with GoBack (3 years ago when it was still with Roxio) on WinME. I did not know what to do back then! :( Lost all files and re-partitioned.

And from all accounts, GoBack still hasn't become useful by much - giving headaches to all and sundry. :crazy:

wasnt quick enough to help with this one - **** GoGack is sooo annoying isnt it? :realmad:

I didnt realise you could alter/edit the C partition like that in order to "unhide" it GeneralMandible - one of the reasons it does it is to protect it from viruses and the like.

hmmmmmm..... more like "helps them" hehe

prathapml - I was under the impression that they've stopped supporting it for the past year - maybe longer.

I wonder why.... lol

Regards,

N.

Oh well, good for you.

I had a similar problem with GoBack (3 years ago when it was still with Roxio) on WinME. I did not know what to do back then! :(  Lost all files and re-partitioned.

And from all accounts, GoBack still hasn't become useful by much - giving headaches to all and sundry. :crazy:

Use Gateway (Adaptec) Goback 2.22 and never had a problem with it, on a WinME machine too.

• 1 month later...

Ah! ha! I wonder if anybody here has GoBack 2.1e ??? :o

That was WAY back in the 1997's when it was owned by a company called Wild File.

Never EVER had any problems with that on Win98 SE ...

But ... then I "upgraded" to version 3

Hooooo boy !!!!

After having to eventually do a complete "nuke" and then the Maxtor low-level format, I installed my O/S again ... and went back to good old 2.1e

Dr. Mac