XP Boot Up

bullet

I am having trouble booting XP and here is why. I am rearranging things on my computer. I have 2 HD's a 40 GB and an 80 GB. Before I had 1 partition on the 40 GB drive with Win2K and I had the 80 GB drive split into 15 GB partition with XP pro on it and the rest was a data drive. It was set up for a dual boot. I used ghost to make an image of both the OS partitions. I then repartitioned the 40 GB drive into a 27 GB partition and a 10 GB partition. I put the XP image on the 27 GB partition and I will use the 10 GB partition to play around with Virtual PC. Once I did that everything worked like I expected, no boot menu and it went straight into XP. I then deleted the XP partition on my 80 GB drive and tried to boot. My computer proceeded to choke and puke and would not load the OS. I put the XP image back in the same place on the 80 GB drive and everything worked fine once again. My boot.ini is correct it is:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I am not sure what else to do at this point. Can someone with some more expertise please help me.

P.S. If you said to yourself that the 27 GB partition plus the 10 GB partition does not add up to 40 GB drive then please do not respond to this forum. Thanks. :huh:

I changed the rdisk number to 0 instead of 1 and the only thing that changed is now in disk manager my XP partition on the slave 80 gig drive is now labeled as page file instead of boot. Come on guys, one you knows what I'm missing. I think that the ARC path is correct though. ;)

I am posting this in case some one wants to learn about my particular situation. In order to fix the whole thing I had to unplug the 80 gig drive and then do a repair on theXP OS in the 40 gig partition. Not real complicated after the fact but it seemed to stump everyone in this forum. :P