Java Plug-In Silent Install

aerain

Hello, All!!

I checked the forums and didn't see anything about a Java Silent Install so, after a little while, I came up with a working one! Here it is (this is used on the LATEST Java plug-in, v1.4.2.06):

j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe /S /v/qn

Enjoy! :thumbup

It has been mentioned somewhere

this may be an older version but it installs only the core and Internet Explorer plugins.

j2re-1_4_2_01-windows-i586.exe /s /v/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1"

should be able to add it to the 1.4.2.06 version

check this out http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/applications/sunjava.htm

and this

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/...ide/silent.html

• 3 months later...

The command line (according to Sun) is:

j2re-1_4_2_01-windows-i586.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1"

Here's the text from their site:

JRE installation packages are built using InstallShield Developer 7. The JRE installation executables include built-in support for silent (unattended) installations.

In general, to use the silent installation feature, run the JRE installation executable on the command line.

Here is a sample silent installation command:

j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v"/qn IEXPLORER=1

ADDLOCAL=ALL UPDATE=1 /L C:\jre.log"

Here is the command for silent installation of the JRE:

<jre>.exe /s /v"/qn[ADDLOCAL=jrecore[,extra][,other_US] | ALL]

[iEXPLORER=1][NETSCAPE6=1][MOZILLA=1]

[iNSTALLDIR=<drive>:\<install_path>] [REBOOT=Suppress]

[JAVAUPDATE=1][EULA=1]"

where

<jre>.exe is the single executable installer for the JRE

ADDLOCAL is either jrecore[,extra][,other_US] or ALL

IEXPLORER=1 indicates that the JRE should be registered with the Internet Explorer browser

NETSCAPE6=1 indicates that the JRE should be registered with Netscape 6 or later browsers

MOZILLA=1 indicates that the JRE should be registered with Mozilla 1.1 and later browsers

INSTALLDIR specifies the drive and path of the installation

REBOOT=Suppress indicates that if locked files are encountered the computer should not be rebooted

JAVAUPDATE=1 indicates that Java Update feature is enabled

EULA=1 indicates that End User License Agreement will be displayed on first use and not during installation

Please refer to the Java JRE 1.4.2 Developer Guide for detailed instructions on running the JRE installer executable on the command line.

I'm using the following lines in my RunOnceEx.cmd:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Sun Java" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\SunJava\j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v\"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress WEBSTARTICON=0 /L C:\jre.log\"" /f

Which, when added to the registry becomes the following command line:
"C:\Install\SunJava\j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress WEBSTARTICON=0 /L C:\jre.log"

My problem is, this DOES NOT work for me. I have no idea why. It creates the jre.log file, but it's empty. No error messages, no nothing. No Java folder in Program Files either. I can run the attended setup with no prolem, but this silent install could make a preacher cuss. I don't want to have to repackage since this is supposed to work, and I don't repackage anything else.

I've tried many combinations of switches, including EULA=1 (I thought that might be the issue).

Here's the kicker -- It used to work! The only thing that I can think of that's different is that now I'm using source directly from the CD for XPCreate, whereas before I was using source that was modified by n-Lite.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd GREATLY appreciate the help.