Network Unattended Install

Hi guys..

I have an Unattended DVD working very well..

I have a LAN

I am just wondering if there is anyway I can put the Unattended files on a LAN PC (Server) and run it off the LAN instead of using the DVD???

If there is any way this is possible can someone please help??

Sure! The easiest way: Create the bootable Unattended CDROM and then just point your RunOnceEx or batch files to \\SERVER\SHARENAME\UNATTENDEDFILES for the additional hotfixes and applications.

Or if you're very brave - try configuring your Server for RIS (Remote Installation Server) - you'll need bootable network cards on your client PC's. ;)

You basically have three choices:

1: Use DOS with networking (shudder) to start winnt.exe (shudder) over the network. Remember, smartdrv is your friend.

2: If you have access to WinPE or BartPE, use that and start winnt32.exe over the network using the unattend file you already have.

3: If you have a RIS server set up, and you have only tweaked the unattend file, you can use RISetup to pull in the OS, and edit the normal ristndrd.sif (basically an unattend.txt with a few special entries) it creates to include your customizations.

I would recommend looking at the deploy.cab file on your Windows CD, or at the documentation for RIS, if that looks like it will work for you.