Default: Arrange By Type...?

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how to set the DEFAULT

sort order to by type...instead of by name.

I know you can accomplish this by setting this key:

"Sort"=dword:00000002

But as of right now I can only do this in specific folders

such as the Desktop, just put the "Sort" key here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop]

and it works for the desktop...However, I want to make this the

default sort for ALL FOLDERS in the system.

I've roamed the forums for days, and tried comparing my registries

before and after making the change, but I can only make the change

to specific folders.

Can someone please help me...?

Thanks,

-- TG

• 3 weeks later...

• 10 months later...

Well, I'm not exactly meaning to bump the thread or anything, but I was actually using search to look for this and I couldn't find anything about this. I just decided to reply to this instead of creating a new thread that has already been created.

I am looking for something which allows folders to be set to:

"Arrange Icons By > Type"

"View > List"

These are on the right click context menu. Answers to this would be greatly appreciated. I did do a search for this, but if I missed this somewhere else I apologize. :huh:

Edited by kornychaos

I'll probably script some thing for this in the coming weeks with autoIt...figured I'd start doing more OS style scripting rather than installs, since I'm getting sick of always updating install scripts and I never get to the point where I have them all done.

So check in the app's forum from time to time in the AutoIt thread, at some point it may show up in there.

Well, I'll be sure to try and check for some updates on your release, but if anyone has an immediate fix or something of this sort .. please post a solution ASAP as I want to include this in my install. :blink:

Thanks for replying and working on it though, Nologic.

Edited by kornychaos

Hi to everyone.

Here is simple(?) and creepy way to do just that. I wonder why microsft never arranges files by types as default. Its so annoying to keep arranging again and agian. Anyway, heres the trick.

In windows explorer, browse to any folder like c:\windows\temp. Now setup from the toolbar if you want tile view, detials view etc ... also select arrange by type, and any other thing you want to make default for all folder views. Now hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift and click the close button in the explore window. Now open explorer again and go to c:\windows\temp. the icons should be arranged by type, and other settings should be as you left. Now the last part is to open the folder options from the tool menu of this explorer window. Go to second tab and click the button "Apply to all folders". Click yes for confirmation. And viola ! you have done it. close that explorer window, logoff to save settings. Now when you open any folder files should be arranged by type.

I had the "View as List" from that, but I never actually tried it .. I went back and tried this and it allows for everything in a List order, but now the question is how to sort by TYPE with a registry tweak...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Status bar, list view for Explorer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]
"Settings"=hex:09,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,e0,a5,1f,0e,73,35,cf,11,ae,\
69,08,00,2b,2e,12,62,04,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,43,00,00,00

Edited by kornychaos