CDROM found as new Hardware during UA

Very strange occurance happening here....

After Windows completes the initial install and reboots to start the runonceex stuff, it prompts that new hardware was found... my cdrom drive being the new hardware. So Im forced to click next, next, finish of the "Add new hardware" wizard and it installs the native windows drivers for it... once it completes, it prompts for a reboot, which I of course choose no to so my my runonceex, which is still running during all of this btw, can complete...

any ideas???

nope... not at all... im just having a hard time figuring out why it would be prompting that this is "New Hardware" when it obviously worked just fine to install windows to begin with.

Its also strange that its the only piece of hardware that brings up this wizard. I mean the first couple times I ran my UA install, I didnt have the drivers to a couple of other pieces of hardware, which windows doesnt natively have as well, and it didnt prompt to install these pieces of hardware at this point.

any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

I'm guessing that both show on the boot screen when you turn on the PC? as this is where windows gets details from. If BIOS don't register, windows on't initalling see, it then scan IRQ, DMA etc and then adds hardware based on that.

Try only having 1 drive attached at a time, which one causes the pause.

Are you doing this in Virtual PC?, and it only has 1 cd-rom registered in the profile?

Just a thought with those and may be well of track.

CDROM works fine during installation and once the pc is up and running.

Ive only got 1 CDROM on secondary IDE and 1 HDD on Primary IDE. So in other words the cdrom thats prompted as "new hardware" is the exact same cdrom that had been performing the installation all along!

Not using VirtualPC or VMWare... this happens on the real deal.

Ah, sorry from your original post I got impression you had 2 drives.

This URL, gave bit of detail on old drives =>

http://www.hitachi.us/Apps/hitachicom/cont...Storage/&nId=iD

Not sure else it could be, possibly cable issue, not seated properly or the drive could be on last legs.

Have you tried to do a DVD-Rom based UA incase it doesn't like the discs? (straw clutching)