Licensing keys for OEM XP dell

Here is my situation. I am working at a shool and we have all dell machines. the are all different models. i do not have a site license for my school because the pcs came with windows xp pro on it. I believe that it is the oem version of XP. I noticed that when you reimage the machine with the dell restore CD that it does not ask you for the product key neither does it ask you to activate the product. however when i create my Unnatended install CD i tried using just one of the keys for all of the machines but xp only alllows you to activate the key 5 times then the key no longer works. Is there a way that i can grab each unique dell key for each machine (wherever it is hidden) with a peice of code from my winnt.sif or a batch or something. Also if you read the compiled help in the unnattened install pack technicaly using one key for all the machines is a no no says microsft even if it is the correct O.s.

PLEASE help !! :o

DELL OEM XP use a special BIOS chip to store XP activation details - hence their restore CD's have a single Key which is only valid on Dell systems with the code burned onto an EEPROM on the BIOS.

So even if you have an older Dell unit which was supplied with 2K - you cannot use the XP restore key on this - as the BIOS hasn't got the 'code'

If you want to 'farm' the Dell keys - make a note of the keys that are printed on the COA's applied to each workstation ;)

Key is only working 5 times?

Looks like an Action Pack subscription (not OEM) to me!

What you could do, is to:

1. get the keys using key-finder (as suggested above).

2. Then, when installing, confirm that the network cable is dis-connected.

3. Now change the key, so that it can activate using its own key. Run command:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

4. So now, you won't have multiple PCs using the same key (so problem solved?).

EDIT:

Noticed that the keyfinder itself allows you to change key, so above command may not be needed.

You can find the key either using jellybean keyfinder or looking inside the winnt.sif file inside the dell cd (i386 folder). Also you need the wpa.dbl file in your windows\system32 folder.

Put both these things in your unattended cd

1. Put the key in the winnt.sif file

2. Put the wpa.dbl file in $OEM$\$$\system32 folder

Your computers wont ask for actiavtion anymore and you can use a single cd on all machines. Needless to say it will work only on Dell systems.

You can find the key either using jellybean  keyfinder or looking inside the winnt.sif file inside the dell cd (i386 folder).
Its also possible that the key is located in sysprep.inf

BTW,

He doesn't need the wpa.dbl ! His CDs have SLP activation. So all he needs to do, is have a different key for each PC - which is problematic since that would need multiple CDs for install.

Just manually change the key with jelly-bean!

Thanks for all the great info guys ! So what your saying is that their really is no automatted way to have a script execute, find the correct dell key and and change it automaticly so that i will not have to goto each individual machine and punch in the correct oem key codes???

:}

I have thought of that too, but it still requires me to goto each machine and punch in codes, There has to be a way that i can pull the key from the dell machine and change it automaticly. I have searched all over the web in and out and no one has a solution to this. Come on guys i know everyone in this forum is extremely smart ! surely someone can be the first to figure this out !! :thumbup

Hey djlax,

If all the PCs you want to install XP to are networked, and have NICs which are network-boot compatible, then you have one option:

RIS (remote installation services). You can control all setup parameters, and whether it is for all machines or individually, from a central server. (Win Svr2k3 or 2k needed)

Try googling and checking out MS technet for detailed articles - they have lots. Your XPCD has some documentation too, regarding that - in the \SUPPORT\TOOLS folder, open the compressed files, to find documentation (in .CHM help format).

DELL OEM XP use a special BIOS chip to store XP activation details - hence their restore CD's have a single Key which is only valid on Dell systems with the code burned onto an EEPROM on the BIOS.

So even if you have an older Dell unit which was supplied with 2K - you cannot use the XP restore key on this - as the BIOS hasn't got the 'code'

If you want to 'farm' the Dell keys - make a note of the keys that are printed on the COA's applied to each workstation ;)

That's only partially correct or worded really strangely. The BIOS contains a encrypted text string that your SLP files on the recovery media look for. It has to find that string within a specific HEX range in order for SLP to work.

I have thought of that too, but it still requires me to goto each machine and punch in codes, There has to be a way that i can pull the key from the dell machine and change it automaticly.  I have searched all over the web in and out and no one has a solution to this. Come on guys i know everyone in this forum is extremely smart ! surely someone can be the first to figure this out !! :thumbup

You have to find the key for each machine only once. After you create the floppy with unique winnt.sif for each computer you dont need to punch anything. All you need to do is put in the floppy